Blog: WSTA's loss is BSDA's gain with Partington appointment
James Wilmore | 10 July 2012
It's taken a while, six months in fact, but the British Soft Drinks Association (BSDA) has finally found a new boss. And I think the wait will be worth its while.
Gavin Partington, who began his career as a political broadcast journalist, is a vastly experienced corporate communications bod, who knows how the Westminster machine works, and, equally important, how to present an argument.
Anyone who has heard him on BBC Radio 4's Today programme defend the drinks industry over the threat of minimum pricing on numerous occasions, will know he is not easily flustered - even in the face of a thorny issue ... and John Humphrys.
It also helps that he's an affable and approachable chap.
But, he'll need all these qualities in his role as the BSDA's director general. One issue that will regularly crop up in Partington's inbox will, of course, be the soft drinks industry's role in tackling obesity. Sorting out the "problems" around alcohol is still a big focus for the UK government, but obesity is almost of equal importance.
After four years at the Wine and Spirit Trade Association (WSTA), it's a shame Partington never made it to the top job. Perhaps he tired of fighting the good fight over minimum pricing, as the political argument has all but been lost.
Meanwhile, the WSTA's new boss, Miles Beale, a newcomer to the drinks industry, will have to cope without the hand-holding of Partington.
To me, it appears that the WSTA's loss is the BSDA's gain.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research