Blog: Will Russia ban bear fruit for Polish cider?
James Wilmore | 22 August 2014
Poland is hardly noted for its cider consumption, but all this could be about to change.
The reason? Russia's sanctions on European food imports. More than half of the apples produced (677,000 metric tons) in Poland go to Russia. But with the ban in place, growers are going to be left holding an awful lot of apples.
Aggrieved by the situation, the Polish press have come to the rescue by urging the country's population to eat more fruit and drink more cider, according to Bloomberg.
Like all good campaigns, Twitter is being utilised with the hashtags #jedzjablka and #eatapples proving popular.
It also marks a welcome change to Poland's attitude to cider after last month authorities banned C&C Group from having its Magners logo appear on the shirt of Celtic players during a football match in Warsaw.
Cider still only accounts for around 1% of all Poland's alcohol sales, according to Bloomberg. And even though the country’s cider production is predicted to grow five-fold to around 10m litres, according to the Polish Council of Winemaking, the demand won't offset the Russia loss.
Still, with all those extra apples being consumed, perhaps it will ensure a health boost for Poland's population.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends