Blog: Will grey sky thinking lead to broccoli beverage boom?
Andy Morton | 20 June 2014
A joint US and Chinese study released this week has found that a tea made with broccoli sprouts helps the body to break down and expunge high levels of the chemical benzene.
It may not sound like much - and the thought of a broccoli tea may also underwhelm - but for the beverage industry this smacks of a perfect storm.
Benzene is a human carcinogen mainly found in air pollutants, something that the Chinese are becoming increasingly worried about as skies above the country get ever more clogged with the consequences of rapid modernisation.
Expect very soon a flood of broccoli-based beverages on the country's market, and everywhere else that pollution threatens peace of mind. Possibly.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) is planning to roll out new Monster energy drinks in Europe, ahead of its expected bottler merger in the region....
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
It's good to be in the bottled water business. According to Canadean, packaged water sales are expected to drive almost all of the net growth in beverage consumption over the next five years in the US...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends