Blog: Where there's smoke there's freedom
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
The move will effectively create the UK's first no-smoking pub brand under the "Phoenix" banner, the same name as the London establishment.
Although I am a non-smoker, I visited the Phoenix with mixed feelings late last year, unsure that I would notice much difference, given that many of London's bars are so well air conditioned these days. I worried, perhaps illogically, about a lack of atmosphere - created by the draconian no smoking policy - despite the pub's catchline "a pub with atmosphere, not smoke". And I also expected it to be empty. After all, everyone has friends who smoke don't they?
The reality is that it was packed, although this was Christmas, and a return visit in January may be more revealing. But, more importantly, I did notice the difference of being in a smoke free environment. The effect was driven home when one drunken reveller lit a cigarette the other side of the pub, some 30 yards away. Everyone noticed it straightaway and pinpointed where the smell was coming from. He soon got the message to stub it out.
But, despite this positive experience, it was not enough to persuade me the UK should follow the US in banning smoking in public places outright. My decision to go to the Phoenix was a free choice and I still want that same freedom to drink with my smoking friends and colleagues, in an environment that they feel relaxed in.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research