Blog: Where there's smoke there's freedom
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
The move will effectively create the UK's first no-smoking pub brand under the "Phoenix" banner, the same name as the London establishment.
Although I am a non-smoker, I visited the Phoenix with mixed feelings late last year, unsure that I would notice much difference, given that many of London's bars are so well air conditioned these days. I worried, perhaps illogically, about a lack of atmosphere - created by the draconian no smoking policy - despite the pub's catchline "a pub with atmosphere, not smoke". And I also expected it to be empty. After all, everyone has friends who smoke don't they?
The reality is that it was packed, although this was Christmas, and a return visit in January may be more revealing. But, more importantly, I did notice the difference of being in a smoke free environment. The effect was driven home when one drunken reveller lit a cigarette the other side of the pub, some 30 yards away. Everyone noticed it straightaway and pinpointed where the smell was coming from. He soon got the message to stub it out.
But, despite this positive experience, it was not enough to persuade me the UK should follow the US in banning smoking in public places outright. My decision to go to the Phoenix was a free choice and I still want that same freedom to drink with my smoking friends and colleagues, in an environment that they feel relaxed in.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research