Blog: Where there's smoke there's freedom
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 January 2004
The move will effectively create the UK's first no-smoking pub brand under the "Phoenix" banner, the same name as the London establishment.
Although I am a non-smoker, I visited the Phoenix with mixed feelings late last year, unsure that I would notice much difference, given that many of London's bars are so well air conditioned these days. I worried, perhaps illogically, about a lack of atmosphere - created by the draconian no smoking policy - despite the pub's catchline "a pub with atmosphere, not smoke". And I also expected it to be empty. After all, everyone has friends who smoke don't they?
The reality is that it was packed, although this was Christmas, and a return visit in January may be more revealing. But, more importantly, I did notice the difference of being in a smoke free environment. The effect was driven home when one drunken reveller lit a cigarette the other side of the pub, some 30 yards away. Everyone noticed it straightaway and pinpointed where the smell was coming from. He soon got the message to stub it out.
But, despite this positive experience, it was not enough to persuade me the UK should follow the US in banning smoking in public places outright. My decision to go to the Phoenix was a free choice and I still want that same freedom to drink with my smoking friends and colleagues, in an environment that they feel relaxed in.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- India overtakes France for Pernod Ricard
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- New whisky distillery set for Edinburgh
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research