Blog: What does one call English wine!?
James Wilmore | 10 July 2013
The wife of the UK's heir to the throne has weighed in on the discourse around English wine.
No, the Duchess of Cornwall has not given us her opinion on whether the stuff's any good or not, but a critique of the term "English sparkling wine". During the opening of a new GBP2.5m (US$3.7m) winery at Hambledon Vineyard, in Hampshire yesterday (9 July) Camilla reportedly said: "I think everyone ought to put their heads together and find a new English name for sparkling wine."
She added: "I don't think 'sparkling' sounds good enough. It ought to have something with more depth. That's my good plan to find a new word for it, if anyone's got any ideas I'd be thrilled."
Suggestions are welcome, on a postcard, to: Clarence House, London.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carbonates in India
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?