Blog: What does one call English wine!?
James Wilmore | 10 July 2013
The wife of the UK's heir to the throne has weighed in on the discourse around English wine.
No, the Duchess of Cornwall has not given us her opinion on whether the stuff's any good or not, but a critique of the term "English sparkling wine". During the opening of a new GBP2.5m (US$3.7m) winery at Hambledon Vineyard, in Hampshire yesterday (9 July) Camilla reportedly said: "I think everyone ought to put their heads together and find a new English name for sparkling wine."
She added: "I don't think 'sparkling' sounds good enough. It ought to have something with more depth. That's my good plan to find a new word for it, if anyone's got any ideas I'd be thrilled."
Suggestions are welcome, on a postcard, to: Clarence House, London.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Chile's winemakers caught out by Brexit "disease"
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- Interview - Pernod Ricard's luxury director
- Suntory sends staff to fat camp - report
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Former Stoli Group CEO joins Perfect Vodka owner
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits