Blog: US anti-obesity groups fight to lose in publicity scramble
Andy Morton | 19 June 2014
Health groups in California this week failed in a bid to force sugary drinks to carry health warnings after the state assembly voted against legislation.
However, according to US politics website Politico.com, passage of the bill was never the point. What the groups want is publicity and to “(push) out the anti-soda message to a broader and broader audience”, the site said. One member of the American Heart Association even said of the warning label bill: “Part of me hopes it doesn’t pass - and I shouldn’t say this - because I’d love to have the debate over and over again."
The article also says that within health groups there is discussion over the use the word “obesity”, with some claiming that soda company lobbyists win every time it is used. Instead, they say, activists should focus on diseases such as diabetes.
“When I say diabetes, the industry has no idea what to say,” a health group spokesperson said. “This isn’t about calories anymore.”
It has only been 18 months since the Coca-Cola Co started using the obesity word in its adverts, but already those challenging the soft drinks industry over health issues are trying to reframe the debate.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
China Huiyuan Juice Group has offloaded nine struggling subsidiaries in its home market....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research