Blog: US anti-obesity groups fight to lose in publicity scramble
Andy Morton | 19 June 2014
Health groups in California this week failed in a bid to force sugary drinks to carry health warnings after the state assembly voted against legislation.
However, according to US politics website Politico.com, passage of the bill was never the point. What the groups want is publicity and to “(push) out the anti-soda message to a broader and broader audience”, the site said. One member of the American Heart Association even said of the warning label bill: “Part of me hopes it doesn’t pass - and I shouldn’t say this - because I’d love to have the debate over and over again."
The article also says that within health groups there is discussion over the use the word “obesity”, with some claiming that soda company lobbyists win every time it is used. Instead, they say, activists should focus on diseases such as diabetes.
“When I say diabetes, the industry has no idea what to say,” a health group spokesperson said. “This isn’t about calories anymore.”
It has only been 18 months since the Coca-Cola Co started using the obesity word in its adverts, but already those challenging the soft drinks industry over health issues are trying to reframe the debate.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
Britvic has appointed SABMiller's Mathew Dunn to the role of chief financial officer....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research