Blog: US anti-obesity groups fight to lose in publicity scramble
Andy Morton | 19 June 2014
Health groups in California this week failed in a bid to force sugary drinks to carry health warnings after the state assembly voted against legislation.
However, according to US politics website Politico.com, passage of the bill was never the point. What the groups want is publicity and to “(push) out the anti-soda message to a broader and broader audience”, the site said. One member of the American Heart Association even said of the warning label bill: “Part of me hopes it doesn’t pass - and I shouldn’t say this - because I’d love to have the debate over and over again."
The article also says that within health groups there is discussion over the use the word “obesity”, with some claiming that soda company lobbyists win every time it is used. Instead, they say, activists should focus on diseases such as diabetes.
“When I say diabetes, the industry has no idea what to say,” a health group spokesperson said. “This isn’t about calories anymore.”
It has only been 18 months since the Coca-Cola Co started using the obesity word in its adverts, but already those challenging the soft drinks industry over health issues are trying to reframe the debate.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
SHS Drinks' Shloer Limited Editions Apple & Blackberry Punch...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research