Blog: The real stars behind supermarkets' Scotch success
Andy Morton | 25 July 2014
Lidl's Queen Margot 8yo won a "gold outstanding medal"
There was a big media focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC).
The UK's Waitrose received a “gold outstanding medal” for its eight-year-old blend while Germany's Lidl won the same for the Queen Margot eight-year-old blend. What the press failed to note, however, is that the undoubted quality of the liquids has less to do with the supermarkets than the distillers behind the blend, which in the case of Waitrose's Scotch offerings is Ian Macleod Distillers, owner of the Glengoyne brand.
Lidl is more circumspect with the identity of its whisky supplier, and a call to the supermarket's UK press office was met with a no comment.
What the supermarkets do bring to the table, however, is their price power. Lidl's Queen Margot is currently available for an eye-wateringly low GBP11.99 (US$20.37).
Unfortunately, I'm not able to tell you if the price is worth it - at the IWSC's tasting session in central London on Wednesday evening the Queen Margot was finished before I got to try it. Which perhaps means that it can't be bad at all.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Rossi D'Asiago has added a 5cl version of its Antica Sambuca Classic to the brand's offering, as it looks to boost sales in the Global Travel Retail channel....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends