Blog: The real stars behind supermarkets' Scotch success
Andy Morton | 25 July 2014
Lidl's Queen Margot 8yo won a "gold outstanding medal"
There was a big media focus on supermarkets and their Scotch offerings this week when a couple of own-brand malts scooped top awards at the International Wines and Spirits Competition (IWSC).
The UK's Waitrose received a “gold outstanding medal” for its eight-year-old blend while Germany's Lidl won the same for the Queen Margot eight-year-old blend. What the press failed to note, however, is that the undoubted quality of the liquids has less to do with the supermarkets than the distillers behind the blend, which in the case of Waitrose's Scotch offerings is Ian Macleod Distillers, owner of the Glengoyne brand.
Lidl is more circumspect with the identity of its whisky supplier, and a call to the supermarket's UK press office was met with a no comment.
What the supermarkets do bring to the table, however, is their price power. Lidl's Queen Margot is currently available for an eye-wateringly low GBP11.99 (US$20.37).
Unfortunately, I'm not able to tell you if the price is worth it - at the IWSC's tasting session in central London on Wednesday evening the Queen Margot was finished before I got to try it. Which perhaps means that it can't be bad at all.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
Cellar Trends is to undertake all UK sales, distribution and marketing for Angostura Bitters and rums, starting 1 July. ...
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review