Blog: The light fantastic?
Chris Brook-Carter | 20 August 2003
The move comes two years after owners Anheuser-Busch pulled Bud Light from the UK market after disappointing sales. Earlier this year Coors was forced to pull its Light beer from UK shelves also.
Although these kinds of beers have been a huge success in the US, past experience proves the difficulties brewers face in launching a low-calorie beer in the UK. Will Michelob be able to succeed where others have so clearly failed?
It seems unlikely that British drinking culture will have changed in so little time. Having said that, the US brewers clearly believe there is potential there - Coors is planning to relaunch Coors Light. The growth in popularity of the controversial, low-carbohydrate Atkins diet in the UK suggests there is an audience for low-carb beverages out there.
Unfortunately the core UK lager drinker is not often your archetypal calorie counting dieter as well. There will need to be a serious shift in attitude among UK consumers if this is to be a success.
The serious issue aside, it was interesting to see the marketing campaign for Ultra will not be adopting the US's "Drop the Carbs" slogan because research found that British consumers saw "carbs" as "crabs" - an unfortunate word association.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Brown-Forman takes distribution in Spain in-house
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends