Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 2 September 2014
On just-drinks last week
- In spirits, Pernod Ricard released its full-year results on Thursday, with sales and profits both falling. Our full coverage of the numbers can befound here. The company also gave further details of its Allegro cost-saving project, a move that, some analysts suggest, could signal a new beginning for Pernod. Also last week, Brown-Forman forecast a healthy full fiscal-year,despite slowing growth in its first quarter. Meanwhile, another senior departure at Bacardi prompted me to round up the company's HR runaround of late. And, it's been lively.
- Our soft drinks readers will enjoy Tom Vierhile's look at the NPD activity in the cold-pressed juice sector. The full round-up of Tom's NPD reviews can be found here. Ben Cooper, meanwhile, took his monthly consideration of sustainability in the drinks industry to the tax arena, specifically renewed attempts in the US to raise taxes on full-sugar soft drinks.
- The wine folk among you may be interested in our latest global market review of the Champagne category. The report, which was published last week, features profiles of the top 13 Champagne houses and includes sales forecasts to 2014. For a taste of the report, click here.
- While it was a quieter week for the brewers - the only major news was that Molson Coors confirmed the appointment of a CEO for its European unit and SABMiller pulled in US$1bn from the sale of its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa - Larry Nelson shone his spotlight on the global beer brands and asked if the days of big being better are over.
Gruppo Campari's decision to change the names of several rum brands in its Appleton Estate portfolio suggests that the segment may have stumbled on its own language. Does this mark the end of rum's re...
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
Casella Family Brands hit the acquisition trail late last year when it snapped up Barossa Valley producer Peter Lehmann Wines for AUD57m (US$49.8m). Here, just-drinks talks to the Australian firm's gl...
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- SABMiller edges Diageo as beer trumps spirits
- Will Keurig Kold come to Coca-Cola Co's Rescue?
- Focus - SABMiller's FY Sales Performance by Region
- Focus - Indonesia: Prohibition in Paradise?
- Carlsberg exec joins Diageo as Africa chief steps
- Diageo YTD sales come in flat
- Heineken "concerned" as Indonesia enacts beer ban
- Bacardi hands global advertising to single agency
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review