Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 2 September 2014
On just-drinks last week
- In spirits, Pernod Ricard released its full-year results on Thursday, with sales and profits both falling. Our full coverage of the numbers can befound here. The company also gave further details of its Allegro cost-saving project, a move that, some analysts suggest, could signal a new beginning for Pernod. Also last week, Brown-Forman forecast a healthy full fiscal-year,despite slowing growth in its first quarter. Meanwhile, another senior departure at Bacardi prompted me to round up the company's HR runaround of late. And, it's been lively.
- Our soft drinks readers will enjoy Tom Vierhile's look at the NPD activity in the cold-pressed juice sector. The full round-up of Tom's NPD reviews can be found here. Ben Cooper, meanwhile, took his monthly consideration of sustainability in the drinks industry to the tax arena, specifically renewed attempts in the US to raise taxes on full-sugar soft drinks.
- The wine folk among you may be interested in our latest global market review of the Champagne category. The report, which was published last week, features profiles of the top 13 Champagne houses and includes sales forecasts to 2014. For a taste of the report, click here.
- While it was a quieter week for the brewers - the only major news was that Molson Coors confirmed the appointment of a CEO for its European unit and SABMiller pulled in US$1bn from the sale of its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa - Larry Nelson shone his spotlight on the global beer brands and asked if the days of big being better are over.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report