Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 2 September 2014
On just-drinks last week
- In spirits, Pernod Ricard released its full-year results on Thursday, with sales and profits both falling. Our full coverage of the numbers can befound here. The company also gave further details of its Allegro cost-saving project, a move that, some analysts suggest, could signal a new beginning for Pernod. Also last week, Brown-Forman forecast a healthy full fiscal-year,despite slowing growth in its first quarter. Meanwhile, another senior departure at Bacardi prompted me to round up the company's HR runaround of late. And, it's been lively.
- Our soft drinks readers will enjoy Tom Vierhile's look at the NPD activity in the cold-pressed juice sector. The full round-up of Tom's NPD reviews can be found here. Ben Cooper, meanwhile, took his monthly consideration of sustainability in the drinks industry to the tax arena, specifically renewed attempts in the US to raise taxes on full-sugar soft drinks.
- The wine folk among you may be interested in our latest global market review of the Champagne category. The report, which was published last week, features profiles of the top 13 Champagne houses and includes sales forecasts to 2014. For a taste of the report, click here.
- While it was a quieter week for the brewers - the only major news was that Molson Coors confirmed the appointment of a CEO for its European unit and SABMiller pulled in US$1bn from the sale of its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa - Larry Nelson shone his spotlight on the global beer brands and asked if the days of big being better are over.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Carlsberg has appointed a new global supply chain head as it looks to optimise its logistical footprint....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Heineken in talks to buy Kirin's Brazil presence
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends