Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 2 September 2014
On just-drinks last week
- In spirits, Pernod Ricard released its full-year results on Thursday, with sales and profits both falling. Our full coverage of the numbers can befound here. The company also gave further details of its Allegro cost-saving project, a move that, some analysts suggest, could signal a new beginning for Pernod. Also last week, Brown-Forman forecast a healthy full fiscal-year,despite slowing growth in its first quarter. Meanwhile, another senior departure at Bacardi prompted me to round up the company's HR runaround of late. And, it's been lively.
- Our soft drinks readers will enjoy Tom Vierhile's look at the NPD activity in the cold-pressed juice sector. The full round-up of Tom's NPD reviews can be found here. Ben Cooper, meanwhile, took his monthly consideration of sustainability in the drinks industry to the tax arena, specifically renewed attempts in the US to raise taxes on full-sugar soft drinks.
- The wine folk among you may be interested in our latest global market review of the Champagne category. The report, which was published last week, features profiles of the top 13 Champagne houses and includes sales forecasts to 2014. For a taste of the report, click here.
- While it was a quieter week for the brewers - the only major news was that Molson Coors confirmed the appointment of a CEO for its European unit and SABMiller pulled in US$1bn from the sale of its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa - Larry Nelson shone his spotlight on the global beer brands and asked if the days of big being better are over.
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part two, we consider the sector's performance on a by-market basis....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part three, we look at what the future trends will be for the sector....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
just-drinks presents this seven-part review of the Scotch whisky category. In part four, we turn our attention to the major Scotch brands....
Jim Cramer, the excitable host of stock-picker programme Mad Money on CNBC, turned his attention on US brewers last week, attempting to forecast which has the most potential for investors....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Protein interest offers drinks opportunities - NPD
- Boom time for soft drinks in West Europe?
- Patron's lesson for the broader spirits sector
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Analysts clash over AB InBev SAB Brexit impact
- Pernod switches Travel Retail Europe op's director
- AB InBev unveils Stella Artois three-packs
- Rum "yet to maximise" GTR potential - Bacardi
- Diageo names Javier Ferran as new chairman
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Keurig Green Mountain in Hot Drinks (World)
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends