Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 26 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- It was the turn of Europe's larger brewers to hog the limelight, with both Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results on Wednesday. While Carlsberg saw its Russian hangover worsen over the six-month period, Heineken took relative comfort from a flat set of figures, ahead of what looks like being a tougher second half. Our full coverage of Carlsberg's results can be found here, while our items on Heineken have been brought together here.
- The fall-out from Coca-Cola Co's stake purchase in Monster Beverage Corp continued last week - head here for all our coverage. Elsewhere in the Coca-Cola system, Coca-Cola Amatil flagged a disappointing return from the brand's sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup in Brazil this summer. The Australia-headquartered company saw its half-year figures suffer and its performance could be seen as a microcosm of the entire system.
- Again, Treasury Wine Estates couldn't escape the front page last week, when it saw profits turn to losses in its most recent fiscal year. With two private equity bids on the table, what could the numbers do to the so-called takeover tussle? In California, meanwhile, an earthquake over the weekend should hopefully cause the winemakers of Napa little disruption. We wish them well in their rebuilding efforts.
- Finally, in spirits, a double-digit drop in 12-month Cognac salescame as little surprise to category observers: The China crisis has been well-documented and does not look like it's going anywhere soon. If you work in the Cognac category, you will be interested in this, the latest just-drinks/IWSR global category research. And, whatever you do to bring growth back into Cognac - or any other spirit category, for that matter - you'd do well to heed Richard Woodard's advice when it comes to innovation.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
It was a bruising first results announcement for management at the newly-formed Coca-Cola European Partners....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends