Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 26 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- It was the turn of Europe's larger brewers to hog the limelight, with both Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results on Wednesday. While Carlsberg saw its Russian hangover worsen over the six-month period, Heineken took relative comfort from a flat set of figures, ahead of what looks like being a tougher second half. Our full coverage of Carlsberg's results can be found here, while our items on Heineken have been brought together here.
- The fall-out from Coca-Cola Co's stake purchase in Monster Beverage Corp continued last week - head here for all our coverage. Elsewhere in the Coca-Cola system, Coca-Cola Amatil flagged a disappointing return from the brand's sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup in Brazil this summer. The Australia-headquartered company saw its half-year figures suffer and its performance could be seen as a microcosm of the entire system.
- Again, Treasury Wine Estates couldn't escape the front page last week, when it saw profits turn to losses in its most recent fiscal year. With two private equity bids on the table, what could the numbers do to the so-called takeover tussle? In California, meanwhile, an earthquake over the weekend should hopefully cause the winemakers of Napa little disruption. We wish them well in their rebuilding efforts.
- Finally, in spirits, a double-digit drop in 12-month Cognac salescame as little surprise to category observers: The China crisis has been well-documented and does not look like it's going anywhere soon. If you work in the Cognac category, you will be interested in this, the latest just-drinks/IWSR global category research. And, whatever you do to bring growth back into Cognac - or any other spirit category, for that matter - you'd do well to heed Richard Woodard's advice when it comes to innovation.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why did Mast-Jägermeister buy Sidney Frank?
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research