Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 26 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- It was the turn of Europe's larger brewers to hog the limelight, with both Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results on Wednesday. While Carlsberg saw its Russian hangover worsen over the six-month period, Heineken took relative comfort from a flat set of figures, ahead of what looks like being a tougher second half. Our full coverage of Carlsberg's results can be found here, while our items on Heineken have been brought together here.
- The fall-out from Coca-Cola Co's stake purchase in Monster Beverage Corp continued last week - head here for all our coverage. Elsewhere in the Coca-Cola system, Coca-Cola Amatil flagged a disappointing return from the brand's sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup in Brazil this summer. The Australia-headquartered company saw its half-year figures suffer and its performance could be seen as a microcosm of the entire system.
- Again, Treasury Wine Estates couldn't escape the front page last week, when it saw profits turn to losses in its most recent fiscal year. With two private equity bids on the table, what could the numbers do to the so-called takeover tussle? In California, meanwhile, an earthquake over the weekend should hopefully cause the winemakers of Napa little disruption. We wish them well in their rebuilding efforts.
- Finally, in spirits, a double-digit drop in 12-month Cognac salescame as little surprise to category observers: The China crisis has been well-documented and does not look like it's going anywhere soon. If you work in the Cognac category, you will be interested in this, the latest just-drinks/IWSR global category research. And, whatever you do to bring growth back into Cognac - or any other spirit category, for that matter - you'd do well to heed Richard Woodard's advice when it comes to innovation.
Brazil still offers a tremendous amount of opportunity, according to Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO Carlos Brito. ...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- It's not all bad for Diageo - Analysis
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research