Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 26 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- It was the turn of Europe's larger brewers to hog the limelight, with both Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results on Wednesday. While Carlsberg saw its Russian hangover worsen over the six-month period, Heineken took relative comfort from a flat set of figures, ahead of what looks like being a tougher second half. Our full coverage of Carlsberg's results can be found here, while our items on Heineken have been brought together here.
- The fall-out from Coca-Cola Co's stake purchase in Monster Beverage Corp continued last week - head here for all our coverage. Elsewhere in the Coca-Cola system, Coca-Cola Amatil flagged a disappointing return from the brand's sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup in Brazil this summer. The Australia-headquartered company saw its half-year figures suffer and its performance could be seen as a microcosm of the entire system.
- Again, Treasury Wine Estates couldn't escape the front page last week, when it saw profits turn to losses in its most recent fiscal year. With two private equity bids on the table, what could the numbers do to the so-called takeover tussle? In California, meanwhile, an earthquake over the weekend should hopefully cause the winemakers of Napa little disruption. We wish them well in their rebuilding efforts.
- Finally, in spirits, a double-digit drop in 12-month Cognac salescame as little surprise to category observers: The China crisis has been well-documented and does not look like it's going anywhere soon. If you work in the Cognac category, you will be interested in this, the latest just-drinks/IWSR global category research. And, whatever you do to bring growth back into Cognac - or any other spirit category, for that matter - you'd do well to heed Richard Woodard's advice when it comes to innovation.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Constellation Brands' beer business seems to have given analysts plenty of reasons to be cheerful, following the company's first-half results, released yesterday. ...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research