Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 26 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- It was the turn of Europe's larger brewers to hog the limelight, with both Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results on Wednesday. While Carlsberg saw its Russian hangover worsen over the six-month period, Heineken took relative comfort from a flat set of figures, ahead of what looks like being a tougher second half. Our full coverage of Carlsberg's results can be found here, while our items on Heineken have been brought together here.
- The fall-out from Coca-Cola Co's stake purchase in Monster Beverage Corp continued last week - head here for all our coverage. Elsewhere in the Coca-Cola system, Coca-Cola Amatil flagged a disappointing return from the brand's sponsorship of the FIFA World Cup in Brazil this summer. The Australia-headquartered company saw its half-year figures suffer and its performance could be seen as a microcosm of the entire system.
- Again, Treasury Wine Estates couldn't escape the front page last week, when it saw profits turn to losses in its most recent fiscal year. With two private equity bids on the table, what could the numbers do to the so-called takeover tussle? In California, meanwhile, an earthquake over the weekend should hopefully cause the winemakers of Napa little disruption. We wish them well in their rebuilding efforts.
- Finally, in spirits, a double-digit drop in 12-month Cognac salescame as little surprise to category observers: The China crisis has been well-documented and does not look like it's going anywhere soon. If you work in the Cognac category, you will be interested in this, the latest just-drinks/IWSR global category research. And, whatever you do to bring growth back into Cognac - or any other spirit category, for that matter - you'd do well to heed Richard Woodard's advice when it comes to innovation.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report