Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 18 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Our top story came late, when The Coca-Cola Co announced its purchase of a near-17% stake in Monster Beverage Corp for US$2.15bn on Friday. The long-trumpeted tie-up - like all such transactions - was seen by many as a win-win, but could Coca-Cola be jumping out of the frying pan and straight into the fire? A full round-up of our coverage of Coca-Cola’s move can be found here.
- Constellation Brands made its own M&A play last week, when it boosted its spirits portfolio with the purchase of the Casa Noble Tequila brand. For more info on Casa Noble, click here. Meanwhile, reporter Andy Morton was in France last week with Bacardi as it lined up a broader release for its vodka/Cognac blend, Grey Goose VX. We’ll see more from Andy’s visit in the coming days.
- Much as it was a quiet week in the beer world, ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results later this week, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed its brewing intentions in Vietnamand provided details of its moves in Argentina and Uruguay earlier this year.
- Finally, the wine folk in Australia will have one eye on the ongoing tussle for Treasury Wine Estates, while the other eye will be looking for growth potential following the establishment of a code of practice with Woolworths Liquor Group in the country.
The cider/perry market has witnessed phenomenal developments in the last ten years, making it the World's fastest-growing alcoholic drinks category, in volume terms....
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
This week, we speak to Jens Bernardo Helmbaek, commercial manager at Nordic wine & spirit distributor, and just-drinks subscriber, Valora Trade Beverages....
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Will South Africa Raise Drinking Age to 21?
- Focus - The Risks of Acquisitions
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Roust takes on Bushmills distribution in Russia
- Brown-Forman completes Kentucky acquisition
- Campari opens office in Canada
- Coca-Cola, A-B InBev express FIFA concerns
- A-B InBev cuts ribbon on Vietnam brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review