Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 18 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Our top story came late, when The Coca-Cola Co announced its purchase of a near-17% stake in Monster Beverage Corp for US$2.15bn on Friday. The long-trumpeted tie-up - like all such transactions - was seen by many as a win-win, but could Coca-Cola be jumping out of the frying pan and straight into the fire? A full round-up of our coverage of Coca-Cola’s move can be found here.
- Constellation Brands made its own M&A play last week, when it boosted its spirits portfolio with the purchase of the Casa Noble Tequila brand. For more info on Casa Noble, click here. Meanwhile, reporter Andy Morton was in France last week with Bacardi as it lined up a broader release for its vodka/Cognac blend, Grey Goose VX. We’ll see more from Andy’s visit in the coming days.
- Much as it was a quiet week in the beer world, ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results later this week, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed its brewing intentions in Vietnamand provided details of its moves in Argentina and Uruguay earlier this year.
- Finally, the wine folk in Australia will have one eye on the ongoing tussle for Treasury Wine Estates, while the other eye will be looking for growth potential following the establishment of a code of practice with Woolworths Liquor Group in the country.
Could it happen? According to this report, a section of the beer community wants to ditch the word craft. They prefer instead the term “Indie” for brewers they believe follow the enlightened path of t...
The global elite were in Switzerland last week for the World Economic Forum in Davos, the annual corporate huddle for the rich and powerful. The CEO of The Coca-Cola Co, Muhtar Kent, was there too, de...
With The Coca-Cola Co stealing yesterday's limelight with its new united marketing strategy for brand Coke yesterday, a Forbes interview with PepsiCo North America Beverages' new CMO, Seth Kaufman, sl...
Highfern has added a heavily-peated expression to its Angels' Nectar blended Scotch brand....
It is a bold attempt to regain a measure of control in the ever-spiraling debate about sugar. But will The Coca-Cola Co's new marketing strategy - which for the first time ties all of the Coke family ...
- What's so special about Islay anyway? - Comment
- Six key trends for alcoholic drinks in 2016
- What do Bourbon and craft beer have in common?
- Aus wine industry pays price for past failures
- Ten things to know about spirits in the US
- Alcohol industry warning over Kroger plan
- SABMiller hits back in UK corporation tax row
- Diageo's Orphan Barrel The Gifted Horse - NPD
- Suntory bids for Lucozade, Ribena Nigerian network
- American rye whiskey sales leap 600% in five years
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global Whiskey Market 2016-2020
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research