Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 18 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Our top story came late, when The Coca-Cola Co announced its purchase of a near-17% stake in Monster Beverage Corp for US$2.15bn on Friday. The long-trumpeted tie-up - like all such transactions - was seen by many as a win-win, but could Coca-Cola be jumping out of the frying pan and straight into the fire? A full round-up of our coverage of Coca-Cola’s move can be found here.
- Constellation Brands made its own M&A play last week, when it boosted its spirits portfolio with the purchase of the Casa Noble Tequila brand. For more info on Casa Noble, click here. Meanwhile, reporter Andy Morton was in France last week with Bacardi as it lined up a broader release for its vodka/Cognac blend, Grey Goose VX. We’ll see more from Andy’s visit in the coming days.
- Much as it was a quiet week in the beer world, ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results later this week, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed its brewing intentions in Vietnamand provided details of its moves in Argentina and Uruguay earlier this year.
- Finally, the wine folk in Australia will have one eye on the ongoing tussle for Treasury Wine Estates, while the other eye will be looking for growth potential following the establishment of a code of practice with Woolworths Liquor Group in the country.
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
- How the can has a part to play in beer's future
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Stoli Group CEO Rob Cullins to step down
- William Grant sees 2015 sales, profits lift
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Kirin lines up cans for Little Creatures beer
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends