Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 18 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Our top story came late, when The Coca-Cola Co announced its purchase of a near-17% stake in Monster Beverage Corp for US$2.15bn on Friday. The long-trumpeted tie-up - like all such transactions - was seen by many as a win-win, but could Coca-Cola be jumping out of the frying pan and straight into the fire? A full round-up of our coverage of Coca-Cola’s move can be found here.
- Constellation Brands made its own M&A play last week, when it boosted its spirits portfolio with the purchase of the Casa Noble Tequila brand. For more info on Casa Noble, click here. Meanwhile, reporter Andy Morton was in France last week with Bacardi as it lined up a broader release for its vodka/Cognac blend, Grey Goose VX. We’ll see more from Andy’s visit in the coming days.
- Much as it was a quiet week in the beer world, ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results later this week, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed its brewing intentions in Vietnamand provided details of its moves in Argentina and Uruguay earlier this year.
- Finally, the wine folk in Australia will have one eye on the ongoing tussle for Treasury Wine Estates, while the other eye will be looking for growth potential following the establishment of a code of practice with Woolworths Liquor Group in the country.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Interview Berry Bros & Rudd CEO Dan Jago - Part I
- The threat of excess choice in beer is over-stated
- Key trends for the beer category in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the spirits sector in 2017 - Focus
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Premium to counter mainstream in gin - research
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Pernod unveils new St Patrick's Day Jameson bottle
- Asahi Group lifts 2016 sales, profits
- Brown-Forman launches brand nutrition website
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers