Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 18 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Our top story came late, when The Coca-Cola Co announced its purchase of a near-17% stake in Monster Beverage Corp for US$2.15bn on Friday. The long-trumpeted tie-up - like all such transactions - was seen by many as a win-win, but could Coca-Cola be jumping out of the frying pan and straight into the fire? A full round-up of our coverage of Coca-Cola’s move can be found here.
- Constellation Brands made its own M&A play last week, when it boosted its spirits portfolio with the purchase of the Casa Noble Tequila brand. For more info on Casa Noble, click here. Meanwhile, reporter Andy Morton was in France last week with Bacardi as it lined up a broader release for its vodka/Cognac blend, Grey Goose VX. We’ll see more from Andy’s visit in the coming days.
- Much as it was a quiet week in the beer world, ahead of Carlsberg and Heineken releasing their half-year results later this week, Anheuser-Busch InBev confirmed its brewing intentions in Vietnamand provided details of its moves in Argentina and Uruguay earlier this year.
- Finally, the wine folk in Australia will have one eye on the ongoing tussle for Treasury Wine Estates, while the other eye will be looking for growth potential following the establishment of a code of practice with Woolworths Liquor Group in the country.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- Interview- Veltins export manager Udo Bruns
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages