Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 4 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The clouds gathered for Diageo early in the week, when analyst consensus ahead of the full-year results announcement suggested a tough Thursday for the spirits giant. And, so it was: CEO Ivan Menezes conceded that Diageo had endured a “tougher than expected” fiscal-2014, while one analyst went so far as to describe the performance as a “nadir” for the group. Our full coverage of Diageo’s results can be found here. Elsewhere, in spirits, we bade farewell to one of the category’s stalwarts, Krzysztof Trylinski from France’s Belvedere. After all he’s been through, we wish Trylinski all the peace in the world for his next incarnation, whatever that may be.
- While the world’s biggest spirits company spent the day squirming on Thursday, the world’s biggest brewer spent the day preening: Anheuser-Busch InBev’s figures for the first half of 2014 made for upbeat reading but, strip out the one-offs and the performance looked good, but not quite that good. Head over here for our full coverage of A-B InBev’s numbers. And, in a busy week for the brewers, we consideredwhat the impending departure of Molson Coors’ CEO could mean for ‘Mega-Merger’, while Larry Nelson highlighted the importance of getting the name of your beer brand absolutely right.
- For you wine folk, we have an excellent interview with the owner of New Zealand’s Te Pa Family Vineyards, Haysley MacDonald. Also, after Castel unveiled the first wine from its Ethiopian operations, Ben Cooper looked at what this move suggests for the industry on an environmental basis. Head over here, meanwhile, for a closer look at Rabobank’s latest quarterly look at the drinks industry, which last week shone the spotlight on wine consumers.
- Finally, a grim week for soft drinks saw SodaStream post a poor return in the first half of the year, while Cott Corp saw its profits slip into the red as sales also fell. Maybe I can help?
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends