Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 4 August 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The clouds gathered for Diageo early in the week, when analyst consensus ahead of the full-year results announcement suggested a tough Thursday for the spirits giant. And, so it was: CEO Ivan Menezes conceded that Diageo had endured a “tougher than expected” fiscal-2014, while one analyst went so far as to describe the performance as a “nadir” for the group. Our full coverage of Diageo’s results can be found here. Elsewhere, in spirits, we bade farewell to one of the category’s stalwarts, Krzysztof Trylinski from France’s Belvedere. After all he’s been through, we wish Trylinski all the peace in the world for his next incarnation, whatever that may be.
- While the world’s biggest spirits company spent the day squirming on Thursday, the world’s biggest brewer spent the day preening: Anheuser-Busch InBev’s figures for the first half of 2014 made for upbeat reading but, strip out the one-offs and the performance looked good, but not quite that good. Head over here for our full coverage of A-B InBev’s numbers. And, in a busy week for the brewers, we consideredwhat the impending departure of Molson Coors’ CEO could mean for ‘Mega-Merger’, while Larry Nelson highlighted the importance of getting the name of your beer brand absolutely right.
- For you wine folk, we have an excellent interview with the owner of New Zealand’s Te Pa Family Vineyards, Haysley MacDonald. Also, after Castel unveiled the first wine from its Ethiopian operations, Ben Cooper looked at what this move suggests for the industry on an environmental basis. Head over here, meanwhile, for a closer look at Rabobank’s latest quarterly look at the drinks industry, which last week shone the spotlight on wine consumers.
- Finally, a grim week for soft drinks saw SodaStream post a poor return in the first half of the year, while Cott Corp saw its profits slip into the red as sales also fell. Maybe I can help?
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets