Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 21 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The Coca-Cola Co’s latest attempt to crack the mid-calorie CSD market came under the just-drinks microscope. Soft drinks commentator Richard Corbett cast his eye over Coke Life as the variant prepares to navigate the mid-calorie carcasses that have come - and gone - before. Elsewhere, is the soft drinks industry becoming the new tobacco... but in a good way?
- Deputy editor James Wilmore met the outspoken head of Australian Vintage, Neil McGuigan, earlier this year: The fruits of their time together can be enjoyed here. Meanwhile, the latest figures out of Australia show a fall in volumes but a rise in value for wine exports in the year to June. Our reporter Andy Morton gives his analysis of the numbers here.
- In spirits, Remy Cointreau’s struggles continue with another set of tough quarterly numbers, while Pernod Ricard’s UK arm bemoaned the Portman Group’s use of a sledgehammer on brand Pernod’s labelling in the country. The Portman Group may have drawn more than its fair share of negative press of late, but any alternative to the responsible drinking body could be far worse for the alcoholic drinks industry in the country.
- Finally, some good news for brewers operating in Russia, where legislation outlawing beer ads around sporting events has been postponed. Meanwhile, is BrewDog looking to spread its colourful tentacles beyond beer?
Having offered his predictions last week for the wider alcohol category, Euromonitor's senior alcoholic drinks analyst, Spiros Malandrakis, drills down into what the year ahead has in mind for the bee...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Europe's drinks companies start engines on CETA
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends