Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 21 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The Coca-Cola Co’s latest attempt to crack the mid-calorie CSD market came under the just-drinks microscope. Soft drinks commentator Richard Corbett cast his eye over Coke Life as the variant prepares to navigate the mid-calorie carcasses that have come - and gone - before. Elsewhere, is the soft drinks industry becoming the new tobacco... but in a good way?
- Deputy editor James Wilmore met the outspoken head of Australian Vintage, Neil McGuigan, earlier this year: The fruits of their time together can be enjoyed here. Meanwhile, the latest figures out of Australia show a fall in volumes but a rise in value for wine exports in the year to June. Our reporter Andy Morton gives his analysis of the numbers here.
- In spirits, Remy Cointreau’s struggles continue with another set of tough quarterly numbers, while Pernod Ricard’s UK arm bemoaned the Portman Group’s use of a sledgehammer on brand Pernod’s labelling in the country. The Portman Group may have drawn more than its fair share of negative press of late, but any alternative to the responsible drinking body could be far worse for the alcoholic drinks industry in the country.
- Finally, some good news for brewers operating in Russia, where legislation outlawing beer ads around sporting events has been postponed. Meanwhile, is BrewDog looking to spread its colourful tentacles beyond beer?
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
Soft drinks producer Eckes-Granini Group has posted a sharp jump in full-year operating profits despite losing volumes and sales....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Analysis - Keurig Kold fails to impress
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Castel acquires stake in Belvedere
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review