Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 21 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The Coca-Cola Co’s latest attempt to crack the mid-calorie CSD market came under the just-drinks microscope. Soft drinks commentator Richard Corbett cast his eye over Coke Life as the variant prepares to navigate the mid-calorie carcasses that have come - and gone - before. Elsewhere, is the soft drinks industry becoming the new tobacco... but in a good way?
- Deputy editor James Wilmore met the outspoken head of Australian Vintage, Neil McGuigan, earlier this year: The fruits of their time together can be enjoyed here. Meanwhile, the latest figures out of Australia show a fall in volumes but a rise in value for wine exports in the year to June. Our reporter Andy Morton gives his analysis of the numbers here.
- In spirits, Remy Cointreau’s struggles continue with another set of tough quarterly numbers, while Pernod Ricard’s UK arm bemoaned the Portman Group’s use of a sledgehammer on brand Pernod’s labelling in the country. The Portman Group may have drawn more than its fair share of negative press of late, but any alternative to the responsible drinking body could be far worse for the alcoholic drinks industry in the country.
- Finally, some good news for brewers operating in Russia, where legislation outlawing beer ads around sporting events has been postponed. Meanwhile, is BrewDog looking to spread its colourful tentacles beyond beer?
In his latest commentary for just-drinks, former drinks analyst Ian Shackleton heads to Brazil to look at 3G's burned fingers, the future worries for Anheuser-Busch InBev and Britvic's samba moves....
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research