Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 July 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The head of PepsiCo conceded that the US is undergoing a "profound" change in eating and drinking habits, with health & wellness leading the way. Indra Nooyi's comments last week coincided with the first part of our interview with PepsiCo's chief scientific officer. As these trends intensify, Dr Mehmood Khan is set to be a busy man in the coming years.
- Reports broke that San Miguel Corp has received several offers for its majority stake in San Miguel Brewery. While the names of the bidders were not divulged, it doesn't take a genius to work out who the front runner is. Meanwhile, SABMiller is set for a US$1bn windfall as it sells its stake in Tsogo Sun Holdings in South Africa. What's top of the brewer's shopping list?
- Hail continues to cause havoc in the winelands of France, withanother storm, this time in Languedoc, causing around EUR80m-worth of damage. Speaking of havoc, Chris Losh tore into what he considers to be the parlous state of most wine lists last week.
- I was in Poland at the start of the week, visiting the country's vodka market leader. Stock Spirits has made quite a name for itself in Central & Eastern Europe, but can the company clear the hurdles that exist further down the road? Meanwhile, William Grant & Sons was busy last week, contributing funds to the 'No' side of September's Scottish independence referendum and seeing its UK division change its name - a good idea, if you ask me.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Comment - Diageo Spins the Guinness Wheel... Again
- Diageo's Labels Give Industry Something to Digest
- Comment - 'Craft' and the Danger of 'Romance Copy'
- Who should Stock Spirits Acquire?
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Diageo lines up UK innovations push
- Craft is an 'abused' term - Pernod Ricard exec
- Pernod Ricard queries nutritional label use
- SPI Group 'disappointed' over Stolichnaya ruling
- Diageo's Guinness Golden Ale
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly
- Beer Market Insights Africa 2014
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets