Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 16 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
Global gin watchers have plenty to get their teeth into as we launched the latest of our joint reports with the IWSR. Our commentator Richard Woodard also questioned what success looks like for a gin brand. My colleague Andy Morton ran the rule over how independence for his native Scotland, if voted for, would affect the Scotch whisky industry. And Remy Cointreau made an interesting choice for its new CEO.
In beer, the week was all about ingredients. Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors felt the force of people power after a 50,000-strong petition persuaded them to publish details of what goes into their brews. And Andy Morton investigated how brewers might take advantage of marijuana’s increasing decriminalisation in the US.
In wine, Brazilian producers have seen a surge in exports helped by the country’s hosting of the FIFA World Cup. In New Zealand meanwhile, winegrowers have a spring in their step as this year’s harvest was significantly up.
In soft drinks, Coca-Cola made lots of noise about the UK launch of its first cola to use stevia. Elsewhere our commentator Ray Rowlands looked at the history of Sunny Delight and going forward, its bid to crack the energy drinks market.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Pernod Ricard offloads Domecq brandies, wines
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range