Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 16 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
Global gin watchers have plenty to get their teeth into as we launched the latest of our joint reports with the IWSR. Our commentator Richard Woodard also questioned what success looks like for a gin brand. My colleague Andy Morton ran the rule over how independence for his native Scotland, if voted for, would affect the Scotch whisky industry. And Remy Cointreau made an interesting choice for its new CEO.
In beer, the week was all about ingredients. Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors felt the force of people power after a 50,000-strong petition persuaded them to publish details of what goes into their brews. And Andy Morton investigated how brewers might take advantage of marijuana’s increasing decriminalisation in the US.
In wine, Brazilian producers have seen a surge in exports helped by the country’s hosting of the FIFA World Cup. In New Zealand meanwhile, winegrowers have a spring in their step as this year’s harvest was significantly up.
In soft drinks, Coca-Cola made lots of noise about the UK launch of its first cola to use stevia. Elsewhere our commentator Ray Rowlands looked at the history of Sunny Delight and going forward, its bid to crack the energy drinks market.
Some people in India believe alcohol should be more difficult to purchase. Last month, the state of Bihar halted all alcohol sales as its chief minister made good on an election promise. ...
Greetings from Zurich. Here as a guest of Heineken's Amstel brand, I'm due to sit down later today with the group's senior global director for international brands, Walter Drenth....
Drinks companies spend a lot of money on trying to predict trends. At last night's Worshipful Company of Distillers City debate, any strategists in the audience got a bit of forecasting for free....
I'll admit to being partial to an Aperol Spritz now and again, more usually in the summer months, sitting outside, shades on, slowly turning more golden/rusty....
- The category today - Scotch Whisky I
- Today's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky II
- Tomorrow's Market Trends - Scotch Whisky III
- Key Brands Performance - Scotch Whisky IV
- Category Trends - Scotch Whisky V
- Beam Suntory names CFO, makes structural changes
- Diageo to accept US$1m South Korea fine
- Brown-Forman shuffles director pack
- Spirits can fill music industry gap - Jagermeister
- Diageo's Smirnoff Red, White & Berry - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Soft Drinks Global Overview: Growth Opportunities Between Category Lines
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends