Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 16 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
Global gin watchers have plenty to get their teeth into as we launched the latest of our joint reports with the IWSR. Our commentator Richard Woodard also questioned what success looks like for a gin brand. My colleague Andy Morton ran the rule over how independence for his native Scotland, if voted for, would affect the Scotch whisky industry. And Remy Cointreau made an interesting choice for its new CEO.
In beer, the week was all about ingredients. Anheuser-Busch InBev and MillerCoors felt the force of people power after a 50,000-strong petition persuaded them to publish details of what goes into their brews. And Andy Morton investigated how brewers might take advantage of marijuana’s increasing decriminalisation in the US.
In wine, Brazilian producers have seen a surge in exports helped by the country’s hosting of the FIFA World Cup. In New Zealand meanwhile, winegrowers have a spring in their step as this year’s harvest was significantly up.
In soft drinks, Coca-Cola made lots of noise about the UK launch of its first cola to use stevia. Elsewhere our commentator Ray Rowlands looked at the history of Sunny Delight and going forward, its bid to crack the energy drinks market.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
News emerged inthe UK late last month that 2,500 litres of fake wine and spirits were seized by police in the country as part of the worldwide Operation OPSON, run by Interpol. The counterfeit drinks ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research