Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 2 June 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- We launched our new preview feature, entitled 'just Ahead'. First up, we have the London Wine Fair, which opens today (2 June). While the three-day trade exhibition has narrowed its focus from the wine markets internationally to only the UK, the London Wine Fair still has an important role to play in one of the higher-profile wine markets of the world. Click here for our preview, and drop me a line if you're in the UK capital this week. It'd be good to meet up.
- The brewing category has been battling with rising hop prices of late, and some folk are blaming the craft brewers.Is this fair, or is it down to the more general rise in prices for raw materials? Meanwhile, with the FIFA World Cup just around the corner, the global beer producers - Anheuser-Busch InBev especially - will be starting their engines this week, ahead of Brazil versus Croatia a week on Thursday.
- In the second of his features on sustainability in the drinks industry, Ben Cooper argued that, while we may trumpet our achievements thus far, now is not the time for sitting back and admiring the hard work we have done. Also, head over here for The International Center for Alcohol Policies' review of responsible drinking efforts in May.
- One of the more colourful areas of our coverage of drinks is in mergers & acquisitions. Head over here to read what Jeremy Cunnington from Euromonitor believes are the reasons for M&A, and what to look out for when you go shopping.
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Molson Coors names UK & Ireland managing director
- TWE renames Blossom Hill fruit wine range