Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 28 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The release of Heineken’s Q1 figures on Thursday gave us the chance to drill down into the company’s current performance. It was almost three years ago when Heineken’s CEO flagged up the importance of Africa to its future plans. “What Brazil is for Anheuser-Busch InBev,” Jean-François van Boxmeer told me, “Africa is for Heineken.” So, how is the region - led by Nigeria for Heineken - bearing up for the brewer?
- Pernod Ricard, meanwhile, reported Q3 and YTD sales on Thursday (it was a busy day) that - yet again - highlighted the headaches being caused in China. But, away from the grim headlines, the wine and spirits company has been gaining plaudits for its broader footprint. And, that’s something Remy Cointreau would probably kill for.
- Staying with Pernod, the firm made a surprise purchase last week, in the form of Kenwood Vineyards in the US. For details on what it is that Pernod has bought,click here. Does the purchase mark the start of a wine shopping spree for Pernod? Also, we welcomed back a familiar face last week, with Troy Christensen, formerly of Constellation Brands and Accolade Wines returning to the wine fold.
- Finally, it looks like PepsiCo isn’t the only soft drinks company in disagreement with a rogue - albeit high-profile - shareholder. While CEO Indra Nooyi has found herself in the position where she needs to remind folk that she’s “still in the chair”, The Coca-Cola Co will be hoping for less drastic measures to calm Warren Buffett. The company’s biggest shareholder abstained from a vote on Coca-Cola’s executive pay plan, deeming the numbers involved “excessive”.
Earlier today, Diageo reported a lift in full-year net profits on flat sales and dipping volumes. Here just-drinks takes a look at the figures for each of the group's regions:...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
Today, Anheuser-Busch InBev reported a slight lift in half-year profits on disappointing sales and volumes. Here, just-drinks takes a look at the brewer's performance in its global markets:...
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Tesco pulls small carton-size Ribena, Rubicon, Cap
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research