Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 28 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- The release of Heineken’s Q1 figures on Thursday gave us the chance to drill down into the company’s current performance. It was almost three years ago when Heineken’s CEO flagged up the importance of Africa to its future plans. “What Brazil is for Anheuser-Busch InBev,” Jean-François van Boxmeer told me, “Africa is for Heineken.” So, how is the region - led by Nigeria for Heineken - bearing up for the brewer?
- Pernod Ricard, meanwhile, reported Q3 and YTD sales on Thursday (it was a busy day) that - yet again - highlighted the headaches being caused in China. But, away from the grim headlines, the wine and spirits company has been gaining plaudits for its broader footprint. And, that’s something Remy Cointreau would probably kill for.
- Staying with Pernod, the firm made a surprise purchase last week, in the form of Kenwood Vineyards in the US. For details on what it is that Pernod has bought,click here. Does the purchase mark the start of a wine shopping spree for Pernod? Also, we welcomed back a familiar face last week, with Troy Christensen, formerly of Constellation Brands and Accolade Wines returning to the wine fold.
- Finally, it looks like PepsiCo isn’t the only soft drinks company in disagreement with a rogue - albeit high-profile - shareholder. While CEO Indra Nooyi has found herself in the position where she needs to remind folk that she’s “still in the chair”, The Coca-Cola Co will be hoping for less drastic measures to calm Warren Buffett. The company’s biggest shareholder abstained from a vote on Coca-Cola’s executive pay plan, deeming the numbers involved “excessive”.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Diageo's Q4/FY 2016 results - Preview
- Diageo's FY performance by region - Focus
- Wine consumption and its health effects
- Time to take stock of Constellation's Corona
- The future for drinks industry's waste products
- Diageo sets sights on alcohol-alternative trends
- SABMiller puts brakes on A-B InBev integration
- "We tried to make Bushmills hot" - Diageo CEO
- Diageo names new TR head as Doug Bagley exits
- Brexit "not a big deal" for Scotch - Diageo CEO
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends