Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 22 April 2014
On just-drinks last week:
- Diageo was quick to line up its excuses after its trading update on Thursday flagged slowing sales and sliding volumes for the year to date. While the analyst community was united in its disappointment, the firm argued that things were not as bad as they seem, with a range of one-offs hampering performance. One thing became abundantly clear, however: Those who felt that international spirits have been suffering a Chinese blip in the last year or so are now few and far between. We need only look at Remy Cointreau’s profit warning last week for further evidence.
- In soft drinks, both The Coca-Cola Co and PepsiCo reported their Q1 numbers last week. Coca-Cola saw sales and profits both slip in the first three months of 2014, as PepsiCo’s bottom line received a boost in the same period. That said, PepsiCo would appear to have its snacks division to thank for driving the performance: its beverage volumes globally came in flat. Be assured, then, that the beverage side of the company will be hoping PepsiCo’s board delivers on its promise to keep the company together, whatever the weather.
- The Australian wine industry collectively is suffering in the US, it would appear, as full-year volume numbers from Wine Australia highlighted a tough 12 months in the country. While the UK remains one of the most important markets for Australia’s wines, China - long held to be the next big battleground - failed to capitalise on the UK’s volume and value falls. Meanwhile, South Africa’s winemakers have been warned to start looking for new markets beyond Europe. Maybe not China, though, yeah?
- In brewing, regular commentator Larry Nelson took to his crystal ball last week, to look at what the future holds for the craft beer segment. Larry’s thoughts form part of our latest ‘on-trend’ report, which offers an in-depth look into the sub-category. Full details of the report can be found here.
Pernod Ricard's Cognac unit, Maison Martell, is about to celebrate its 300th anniversary. just-drinks caught up with Philippe Guettat, Martell's CEO & chairman, to discuss how the party preparations a...
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
Brown-Forman is rolling out its Little Black Dress flavoured vodka range to the UK under the brand name LBD....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review