Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 18 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Carlsberg is continuing to up its focus on Asia, last week unveiling a new boss for its regional unit. It came as the Danish brewer reported flat nine-month sales as its Russian woes remain, but its CEO predicts brighter things next year. Meanwhile, rivals Anheuser-Busch InBev were updating analysts on how it sees the US beer market, while SABMiller reported sad news of a relapse for its chairman and former CEO Graham Mackay.
- In spirits, columnist Richard Woodard rattled the cage over the issue of category definitions – with absinthe's rough treatment raising the ire of our commentator. Newly-listed Stock Spirits revealed details of a deal to distribute Diageo's premium portfolio in Czech, while Stock CEO Chris Heath insisted to just-drinks the tie-up is “complementary”.
- In soft drinks, PepsiCo put down a marker in India, saying it intends to invest US$5.5bn in the country by 2020. Meanwhile, iPro Sports Group has signed a GBP7m (US$11.3m) deal to rename Derby County's Football Club's ground after its isontic sports drink brand.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard's US unit is eyeing major expansion over the next five years and unveiled a new team to drive that effort. Back in the UK, it emerged that Direct Wines is selling the UK unit of Virgin Wines for GBP14m (US$22.4m) to the division's management team.
- Finally, we ran a round-up of the drinks industry's contribution to the relief effort in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and condolences go out to those affected by the disaster.
Collecting wine is big business – and so is faking it. So, how do you tell your Chateau Lafite from your Chateau La Counterfeit?...
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
- SABMiller & Meantime: Notes for the New Owner
- Are Coca-Cola, A-B InBev at a FIFA Crossroads?
- Focus - The Prosecco shortage that isn't
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Interview - Illva Saronno CEO Augusto Reina
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo takes Baileys, Gordon's marketing in-house
- Carlsberg cuts 180 staff
- Suntory to buy Japan Tobacco beverage unit
- Mixto Tequila poised for "golden age"
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review