Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 18 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Carlsberg is continuing to up its focus on Asia, last week unveiling a new boss for its regional unit. It came as the Danish brewer reported flat nine-month sales as its Russian woes remain, but its CEO predicts brighter things next year. Meanwhile, rivals Anheuser-Busch InBev were updating analysts on how it sees the US beer market, while SABMiller reported sad news of a relapse for its chairman and former CEO Graham Mackay.
- In spirits, columnist Richard Woodard rattled the cage over the issue of category definitions – with absinthe's rough treatment raising the ire of our commentator. Newly-listed Stock Spirits revealed details of a deal to distribute Diageo's premium portfolio in Czech, while Stock CEO Chris Heath insisted to just-drinks the tie-up is “complementary”.
- In soft drinks, PepsiCo put down a marker in India, saying it intends to invest US$5.5bn in the country by 2020. Meanwhile, iPro Sports Group has signed a GBP7m (US$11.3m) deal to rename Derby County's Football Club's ground after its isontic sports drink brand.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard's US unit is eyeing major expansion over the next five years and unveiled a new team to drive that effort. Back in the UK, it emerged that Direct Wines is selling the UK unit of Virgin Wines for GBP14m (US$22.4m) to the division's management team.
- Finally, we ran a round-up of the drinks industry's contribution to the relief effort in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and condolences go out to those affected by the disaster.
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
William Grant & Sons has reported rising full-year sales and profits as it continues to move away from distributing third-party brands....
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends