Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 18 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Carlsberg is continuing to up its focus on Asia, last week unveiling a new boss for its regional unit. It came as the Danish brewer reported flat nine-month sales as its Russian woes remain, but its CEO predicts brighter things next year. Meanwhile, rivals Anheuser-Busch InBev were updating analysts on how it sees the US beer market, while SABMiller reported sad news of a relapse for its chairman and former CEO Graham Mackay.
- In spirits, columnist Richard Woodard rattled the cage over the issue of category definitions – with absinthe's rough treatment raising the ire of our commentator. Newly-listed Stock Spirits revealed details of a deal to distribute Diageo's premium portfolio in Czech, while Stock CEO Chris Heath insisted to just-drinks the tie-up is “complementary”.
- In soft drinks, PepsiCo put down a marker in India, saying it intends to invest US$5.5bn in the country by 2020. Meanwhile, iPro Sports Group has signed a GBP7m (US$11.3m) deal to rename Derby County's Football Club's ground after its isontic sports drink brand.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard's US unit is eyeing major expansion over the next five years and unveiled a new team to drive that effort. Back in the UK, it emerged that Direct Wines is selling the UK unit of Virgin Wines for GBP14m (US$22.4m) to the division's management team.
- Finally, we ran a round-up of the drinks industry's contribution to the relief effort in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and condolences go out to those affected by the disaster.
Ian Buxton has just returned from Cognac. Much as he expected to see a gloomy fug over the region, he was surprised by the upbeat air among its spirits producers....
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
Earlier today, Diageo and Heineken announced the dissolution of their joint venture in South Africa and Namibia with Namibian Breweries Ltd (NBL). Here are the full details behind the transaction....
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- SABMiller's Q1 Sales Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Global business development head to quit Diageo
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research