Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
James Wilmore | 18 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Carlsberg is continuing to up its focus on Asia, last week unveiling a new boss for its regional unit. It came as the Danish brewer reported flat nine-month sales as its Russian woes remain, but its CEO predicts brighter things next year. Meanwhile, rivals Anheuser-Busch InBev were updating analysts on how it sees the US beer market, while SABMiller reported sad news of a relapse for its chairman and former CEO Graham Mackay.
- In spirits, columnist Richard Woodard rattled the cage over the issue of category definitions – with absinthe's rough treatment raising the ire of our commentator. Newly-listed Stock Spirits revealed details of a deal to distribute Diageo's premium portfolio in Czech, while Stock CEO Chris Heath insisted to just-drinks the tie-up is “complementary”.
- In soft drinks, PepsiCo put down a marker in India, saying it intends to invest US$5.5bn in the country by 2020. Meanwhile, iPro Sports Group has signed a GBP7m (US$11.3m) deal to rename Derby County's Football Club's ground after its isontic sports drink brand.
- In wine, Pernod Ricard's US unit is eyeing major expansion over the next five years and unveiled a new team to drive that effort. Back in the UK, it emerged that Direct Wines is selling the UK unit of Virgin Wines for GBP14m (US$22.4m) to the division's management team.
- Finally, we ran a round-up of the drinks industry's contribution to the relief effort in the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan. Our thoughts and condolences go out to those affected by the disaster.
Stubbornly high release prices from Bordeaux's chateaux in recent years have put huge pressure on merchants and negociants alike. Chris Losh asks, what's gone wrong with en primeur?...
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
The Coca-Cola Co has been forced to apologise over an advert for its Fanta brand in Germany and has denied the brand has any links to Hitler or the Nazi Party....
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Pernod Ricard has released a Travel Retail-only flavour extension of its Absolut vodka brand....
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA head - part II
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo reveals US$400m Tequila investment
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Beam Suntory strikes new Baltics tie-up
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future