Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 11 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Accolade Wines may still be without a CEO, but that hasn't stopped the Australian firm from making an acquisition, in neighbouring New Zealand. The company snapped up a range of wine brands from the Mud House Wine Group last week, a move which, if nothing else, suggests thatAccolade owner CHAMP is still enjoying its foray into wine almost three years on. Elsewhere in wine, reporter Andy Morton took a trip to France to see what Les Vignobles Foncalieu has been up to of late.
- Molson Coors released its third-quarter and year-to-date numbersand confirmed in the subsequent conference call that its legal row in Canada with US JV partner SABMiller is heading to the country's courts next month. And, while we're on the subject of Canada, click here for an in-depth look at the country's beer market.
- In spirits, we managed to grab some time with the MD of Pernod Ricard's UK unit, Denis O'Flynn, for a look at the division's 'post-premiumisation' strategy moving forward. Meanwhile, we alsointerviewed the MD of Cognac house Thomas Hine & Co, which recently underwent a change of owner.
- In soft drinks, a change of mayor meant the spotlight returned to New York last week. Is the ban on large sugary drinks in restaurants, movie theatres and from food carts dead and buried, or merely on hiatus as Bill de Blasio makes himself comfortable? Still in the US, regular commentator Ray Rowlands considered the potential for Coca-Cola Co's sparkling Dasani.
In the just-drinks research store, we've launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports, which tell the story of major developments in the global drinks industry. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year. Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research