Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 11 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Accolade Wines may still be without a CEO, but that hasn't stopped the Australian firm from making an acquisition, in neighbouring New Zealand. The company snapped up a range of wine brands from the Mud House Wine Group last week, a move which, if nothing else, suggests thatAccolade owner CHAMP is still enjoying its foray into wine almost three years on. Elsewhere in wine, reporter Andy Morton took a trip to France to see what Les Vignobles Foncalieu has been up to of late.
- Molson Coors released its third-quarter and year-to-date numbersand confirmed in the subsequent conference call that its legal row in Canada with US JV partner SABMiller is heading to the country's courts next month. And, while we're on the subject of Canada, click here for an in-depth look at the country's beer market.
- In spirits, we managed to grab some time with the MD of Pernod Ricard's UK unit, Denis O'Flynn, for a look at the division's 'post-premiumisation' strategy moving forward. Meanwhile, we alsointerviewed the MD of Cognac house Thomas Hine & Co, which recently underwent a change of owner.
- In soft drinks, a change of mayor meant the spotlight returned to New York last week. Is the ban on large sugary drinks in restaurants, movie theatres and from food carts dead and buried, or merely on hiatus as Bill de Blasio makes himself comfortable? Still in the US, regular commentator Ray Rowlands considered the potential for Coca-Cola Co's sparkling Dasani.
In the just-drinks research store, we've launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports, which tell the story of major developments in the global drinks industry. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year. Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Heineken Q1 2017 by region - results data
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Remy Cointreau Fiscal-2017 sales - results data
- Soft drinks is losing the recycling game
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Scotch sales set to soar, despite recent struggles
- TWE's Beringer Main & Vine Dry Rosé - NPD
- Edrington shifts innovation to US in shake-up
- Pernod Ricard posts solid YTD sales jump - results
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Flavoured Powder Drinks in 2017: Confronting an Ageing World