Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 11 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- Accolade Wines may still be without a CEO, but that hasn't stopped the Australian firm from making an acquisition, in neighbouring New Zealand. The company snapped up a range of wine brands from the Mud House Wine Group last week, a move which, if nothing else, suggests thatAccolade owner CHAMP is still enjoying its foray into wine almost three years on. Elsewhere in wine, reporter Andy Morton took a trip to France to see what Les Vignobles Foncalieu has been up to of late.
- Molson Coors released its third-quarter and year-to-date numbersand confirmed in the subsequent conference call that its legal row in Canada with US JV partner SABMiller is heading to the country's courts next month. And, while we're on the subject of Canada, click here for an in-depth look at the country's beer market.
- In spirits, we managed to grab some time with the MD of Pernod Ricard's UK unit, Denis O'Flynn, for a look at the division's 'post-premiumisation' strategy moving forward. Meanwhile, we alsointerviewed the MD of Cognac house Thomas Hine & Co, which recently underwent a change of owner.
- In soft drinks, a change of mayor meant the spotlight returned to New York last week. Is the ban on large sugary drinks in restaurants, movie theatres and from food carts dead and buried, or merely on hiatus as Bill de Blasio makes himself comfortable? Still in the US, regular commentator Ray Rowlands considered the potential for Coca-Cola Co's sparkling Dasani.
In the just-drinks research store, we've launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports, which tell the story of major developments in the global drinks industry. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year. Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
- Diageo NA head on Trump, Millennials, Bourbon
- Has Millennial-mania drowned out elder consumers?
- Interview - Loch Lomond GTR head Andre de Almeida
- Absolut and Smirnoff's conflicting Millennial view
- Brown-Forman's H1 performance by region, brand
- Coca-Cola CEO Muhtar Kent set to stand down
- Beam Suntory opens global headquarters in Chicago
- Diageo wine assets integration head to leave TWE
- Brown-Forman's barrel sales take Scotch hit
- Absolut not "sufficiently focussed" on Millennials
- Luxury Alcoholic Drinks: The Spirit of Premiumisation
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends