Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 4 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The hangover affecting Treasury Wine Estates just won't go away. After announcing in July that it would take a US$145m hit from a stock writedown in the US, the Australian firm cut its ties with its CEO in September. However, David Dearie popped up again last week as he moved to defend his time at the tiller. Not only that, but Treasury was also named in a lawsuit last week brought due to the aforementioned writedown. Meanwhile, the wine world was sent into a spin late last week after a report from Morgan Stanley claimed that there is a world wine shortage on the horizon. Head here to read Chris Losh's thoughts on this ridiculous suggestion.
- In spirits, Beam Inc released its Q3 and YTD results, with the three-month period providing a headache or two. Has the Skinnygirl bubble burst? Click here for a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of the numbers. Meanwhile, our brown spirits commentator, Ian Buxton, shone his monthly spotlight on the Irish whiskey category.
- On the soft drink front, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor highlighted the growing popularity of the 'flavour enhancers' sub-category. Could the dusting off and the 21st Century-ising of the cordial and squash segment provide a NPD opportunity for the soft drinks world?
- I was busy in beer last week. First up, I sounded a cathartic moan about the over-excited gossip I've been reading of late about the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev buying SABMiller. Come on people, we can do better than this! Then, two days in Czech gave me the chance to run the rule over Budejovicky Budvar - invariably over a plate of meat. While the brewer is a small player domestically, on the global stage it's far better known, if only for its legal row with Anhesuer-Busch InBev.
Finally, last week we launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports in the just-drinks research store. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year.Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
Finally, finally, it's a happy anniversary for me! Thursday last week was my tenth anniversary with just-drinks. It has been a true pleasure to serve. Here's to the next ten years. Cheers.
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
National soft drinks representatives have branded a global report that blames the industry for 184,000 deaths a year as inaccurate....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Rekorderlig Deal Sees Molson Coors Miss Out
- Constellation Brands basks in beer glory
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Molson Coors acquires Rekorderlig UK rights