Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 4 November 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The hangover affecting Treasury Wine Estates just won't go away. After announcing in July that it would take a US$145m hit from a stock writedown in the US, the Australian firm cut its ties with its CEO in September. However, David Dearie popped up again last week as he moved to defend his time at the tiller. Not only that, but Treasury was also named in a lawsuit last week brought due to the aforementioned writedown. Meanwhile, the wine world was sent into a spin late last week after a report from Morgan Stanley claimed that there is a world wine shortage on the horizon. Head here to read Chris Losh's thoughts on this ridiculous suggestion.
- In spirits, Beam Inc released its Q3 and YTD results, with the three-month period providing a headache or two. Has the Skinnygirl bubble burst? Click here for a full round-up of just-drinks' coverage of the numbers. Meanwhile, our brown spirits commentator, Ian Buxton, shone his monthly spotlight on the Irish whiskey category.
- On the soft drink front, Tom Vierhile from Datamonitor highlighted the growing popularity of the 'flavour enhancers' sub-category. Could the dusting off and the 21st Century-ising of the cordial and squash segment provide a NPD opportunity for the soft drinks world?
- I was busy in beer last week. First up, I sounded a cathartic moan about the over-excited gossip I've been reading of late about the prospect of Anheuser-Busch InBev buying SABMiller. Come on people, we can do better than this! Then, two days in Czech gave me the chance to run the rule over Budejovicky Budvar - invariably over a plate of meat. While the brewer is a small player domestically, on the global stage it's far better known, if only for its legal row with Anhesuer-Busch InBev.
Finally, last week we launched the first in a new - and ongoing - series of reports in the just-drinks research store. Heineken's battle to secure full control of Asia Pacific Breweries dominated the headlines late last year.Here's the full story of how the saga unfolded.
Finally, finally, it's a happy anniversary for me! Thursday last week was my tenth anniversary with just-drinks. It has been a true pleasure to serve. Here's to the next ten years. Cheers.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Amazon adds alcohol to one-hour delivery service
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research