Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 14 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- As the qualifying phase for next year's FIFA World Cup draws to a close this week,PepsiCo launched its latest global advertising campaign, featuring Argentinian football wunderkind, Lionel Messi. The tournament, which takes place in Brazil in June and July 2014, is set to be the focus for a wealth of drinks companies, not least AmBev, the Brazilian division of Anheuser-Busch InBev.
- Following William Grant & Son's announcement earlier this month that it is set to enter the single grain Scotch whisky category, we managed to secure some time with the company's global marketing manager for innovation to discuss William Grant's plans in the sub-category. My chat with Kevin Abrook followed my out-loud musings about the move. Is single grain going to replicate single malt Scotch in the years to come?
- Eyebrows were raised last week among the wine fraternity in South Africa. The region has had more than its fair share of critics in recent years, so it was with blessed relief that they will have readChris Losh's review of the South African wares on show at last month's Beautiful South tasting event in London.
- It was a quiet week for the brewers amongst us, although Carlsberg still found time to confirm to us that its Olivaria Brewery in Belarus has appointed a new CEO. Be assured that this will almost certainly represent the calm before some kind of storm in beer!
Don't forget, the latest research report from just-drinks and The IWSR has been published today. Full details of 'Global market review of vodka - forecasts to 2018' can be found here.
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- The European beer market - Focus
- Trump, local spirits and the IR role - The Analyst
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Diageo, Nolets unveil latest Ketel One campaign