Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
Constellation Brands released its Q2 and H1 results on Thursday. The US-based company has shifted from being better known as a wine producer to being referred to predominantly as a brewer. That’s little wonder, considering Constellation became the US’s third biggest brewer in June. Sure enough, the buyout of JV partner Grupo Modelo dominated last week’s numbers. which is no bad thing: Constellation’s wine and spirits sales were down by 1% in its second quarter. For our full coverage of Constellation’s results, click here.
After the announcement last month that Oaktree Capital will launch an IPO for a stake in its Stock Spirits division, the US-based private equity group made another spirits sale last week. Having found itself with a sizable holding in Groupe Belvedere, Oaktree has offloaded its entire stake in the troubled French firm, we learnt last week. Elsewhere in the spirits world last week, Beam Inc became the latest multinational drinks company to look to up the production capacity for its Scotch whisky operations; proof, then, that I was right way back in February, 2011 - If it’s brown, it sells.
For all you brewers out there, Larry Nelson did something last week that he’d never thought he’d do: He wrote about a billionaire craft brewer.
Deputy editor James Wilmore looked back five years to see how the relationship between the energy drinks sector and the health lobby has developed - if at all - in recent times.
Finally, the latest research report from just-drinks and The IWSR has been published today. Full details of ‘Global market review of vodka – forecasts to 2018’ can be found here.
Yesterday, Dr Pepper Snapple Group reported its results for the first three months of 2017. The company saw its sales rise slightly in the first quarter, although profits were hit by the US$1.7bn purc...
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Edrington has released the first whisky in a new series of 'special editions'. Valkyrie, which launched at an event in Denmark today, is part of the firm's new Viking Legend series. The collection wil...
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Have spirits companies forgotten the mainstream?
- Does alcohol accelerate the onset of dementia?
- Pernod's mood darkens over India - Analysis
- Why Scotch must drop the 'malts good, blends bad'
- Ashwagandha - The next functional drinks trend?
- Moet Hennessy unaffected by LVMH Dior buy
- Distell acquires majority stake in Cruz Vodka
- Diageo to cut 105 jobs in Scotland, 50 in Italy
- Portman Group heads to Tesco for new chief exec
- William Grant names Europe & NA Travel Retail head
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Champagne and sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Myanmar - ISA Country Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends