Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
Constellation Brands released its Q2 and H1 results on Thursday. The US-based company has shifted from being better known as a wine producer to being referred to predominantly as a brewer. That’s little wonder, considering Constellation became the US’s third biggest brewer in June. Sure enough, the buyout of JV partner Grupo Modelo dominated last week’s numbers. which is no bad thing: Constellation’s wine and spirits sales were down by 1% in its second quarter. For our full coverage of Constellation’s results, click here.
After the announcement last month that Oaktree Capital will launch an IPO for a stake in its Stock Spirits division, the US-based private equity group made another spirits sale last week. Having found itself with a sizable holding in Groupe Belvedere, Oaktree has offloaded its entire stake in the troubled French firm, we learnt last week. Elsewhere in the spirits world last week, Beam Inc became the latest multinational drinks company to look to up the production capacity for its Scotch whisky operations; proof, then, that I was right way back in February, 2011 - If it’s brown, it sells.
For all you brewers out there, Larry Nelson did something last week that he’d never thought he’d do: He wrote about a billionaire craft brewer.
Deputy editor James Wilmore looked back five years to see how the relationship between the energy drinks sector and the health lobby has developed - if at all - in recent times.
Finally, the latest research report from just-drinks and The IWSR has been published today. Full details of ‘Global market review of vodka – forecasts to 2018’ can be found here.
This week, Diageo held a UK semi-final for its global World Class cocktail competition. ...
The rules have changed. The goal posts have... gone? ...
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
- Paddy Irish whiskey - The Facts
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Is the wine industry confusing its consumers?
- Is single malt the Great White Hope for Scotch?
- Pernod Ricard to widen Our/Vodka sales reach
- Leonardo DiCaprio joins Runa drinks board
- Remy Cointreau names new Travel Retail exec
- Pernod in talks to sell Paddy whiskey to Sazerac
- US wholesalers point to Absolut decline - report
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Spirits Market in the US
- Carbonates in India