Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
Constellation Brands released its Q2 and H1 results on Thursday. The US-based company has shifted from being better known as a wine producer to being referred to predominantly as a brewer. That’s little wonder, considering Constellation became the US’s third biggest brewer in June. Sure enough, the buyout of JV partner Grupo Modelo dominated last week’s numbers. which is no bad thing: Constellation’s wine and spirits sales were down by 1% in its second quarter. For our full coverage of Constellation’s results, click here.
After the announcement last month that Oaktree Capital will launch an IPO for a stake in its Stock Spirits division, the US-based private equity group made another spirits sale last week. Having found itself with a sizable holding in Groupe Belvedere, Oaktree has offloaded its entire stake in the troubled French firm, we learnt last week. Elsewhere in the spirits world last week, Beam Inc became the latest multinational drinks company to look to up the production capacity for its Scotch whisky operations; proof, then, that I was right way back in February, 2011 - If it’s brown, it sells.
For all you brewers out there, Larry Nelson did something last week that he’d never thought he’d do: He wrote about a billionaire craft brewer.
Deputy editor James Wilmore looked back five years to see how the relationship between the energy drinks sector and the health lobby has developed - if at all - in recent times.
Finally, the latest research report from just-drinks and The IWSR has been published today. Full details of ‘Global market review of vodka – forecasts to 2018’ can be found here.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research