Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
Constellation Brands released its Q2 and H1 results on Thursday. The US-based company has shifted from being better known as a wine producer to being referred to predominantly as a brewer. That’s little wonder, considering Constellation became the US’s third biggest brewer in June. Sure enough, the buyout of JV partner Grupo Modelo dominated last week’s numbers. which is no bad thing: Constellation’s wine and spirits sales were down by 1% in its second quarter. For our full coverage of Constellation’s results, click here.
After the announcement last month that Oaktree Capital will launch an IPO for a stake in its Stock Spirits division, the US-based private equity group made another spirits sale last week. Having found itself with a sizable holding in Groupe Belvedere, Oaktree has offloaded its entire stake in the troubled French firm, we learnt last week. Elsewhere in the spirits world last week, Beam Inc became the latest multinational drinks company to look to up the production capacity for its Scotch whisky operations; proof, then, that I was right way back in February, 2011 - If it’s brown, it sells.
For all you brewers out there, Larry Nelson did something last week that he’d never thought he’d do: He wrote about a billionaire craft brewer.
Deputy editor James Wilmore looked back five years to see how the relationship between the energy drinks sector and the health lobby has developed - if at all - in recent times.
Finally, the latest research report from just-drinks and The IWSR has been published today. Full details of ‘Global market review of vodka – forecasts to 2018’ can be found here.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Making consumers the centre of your business
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research