Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 7 October 2013
On just-drinks last week:
Constellation Brands released its Q2 and H1 results on Thursday. The US-based company has shifted from being better known as a wine producer to being referred to predominantly as a brewer. That’s little wonder, considering Constellation became the US’s third biggest brewer in June. Sure enough, the buyout of JV partner Grupo Modelo dominated last week’s numbers. which is no bad thing: Constellation’s wine and spirits sales were down by 1% in its second quarter. For our full coverage of Constellation’s results, click here.
After the announcement last month that Oaktree Capital will launch an IPO for a stake in its Stock Spirits division, the US-based private equity group made another spirits sale last week. Having found itself with a sizable holding in Groupe Belvedere, Oaktree has offloaded its entire stake in the troubled French firm, we learnt last week. Elsewhere in the spirits world last week, Beam Inc became the latest multinational drinks company to look to up the production capacity for its Scotch whisky operations; proof, then, that I was right way back in February, 2011 - If it’s brown, it sells.
For all you brewers out there, Larry Nelson did something last week that he’d never thought he’d do: He wrote about a billionaire craft brewer.
Deputy editor James Wilmore looked back five years to see how the relationship between the energy drinks sector and the health lobby has developed - if at all - in recent times.
Finally, the latest research report from just-drinks and The IWSR has been published today. Full details of ‘Global market review of vodka – forecasts to 2018’ can be found here.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - Beer - Does 'Craft' Work?
- Solving the diet drinks dilemma in the US
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- Diageo opens Johnnie Walker House in Singapore
- Emperador overhauls Whyte & Mackay labels
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Africa: The Final Frontier for Beer