Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, withTreasury Wine Estates announcing the immediate departure of its CEO. Having been at the helm when the company re-dressed its wine inventory in the USearlier this year is what did for David Dearie. The news served as a warning to wannabe-CEOs, thatthe devil is most definitely in the detail. For a full round-up of the media coverage of Dearie's departure, click here.
- Having mulled either an IPO or an all-out sale in recent years, the owner of Stock Spirits plumped for the former last week: Oaktree Capital will launch the offering next month, while remaining a significant shareholder in the spirits company. Speaking to just-drinks on Thursday, Stock's CEO Chris Heath gave further details behind the move and outlined the unit's plans post-IPO.
- In soft drinks, we spent some time talking to the heads of Gerber Emig and AG Barr last week. The former welcomed the imminent arrival of Suntory to the UK soft drinks scene. Suntory’s takeover of GlaxoSmithKline brands Ribena and Lucozade, announced earlier this month, will be “a good thing” for the UK soft drinks industry, said Andrew Biles. Meanwhile, Barr’s CEO, Roger White, noted that his company was never in the running for Ribena or Lucozade, despite reports suggesting a possible move. “They (the brands) never made it to the market,” White told us.
- Finally, Diageo hosted the celebrations of Arthur’s Day last week. The event, in honour of the founder of the Guinness beer brand, provoked the ire of several groups in Ireland, prompting me to wonder aloud: Has the annual event run its course?
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- SABMiller's Q1 sales performance by region - Focus
- The Coca-Cola Co's Q2/H1 2016 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- AB InBev seeks single buyer for European beers
- Diageo appoints new Smirnoff head
- Gruppo Campari trials Negroni pre-mix
- Scotch drop hits Edrington as FY profits fall
- Beam Suntory turns Asda Japanese with Midori push
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends