Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, withTreasury Wine Estates announcing the immediate departure of its CEO. Having been at the helm when the company re-dressed its wine inventory in the USearlier this year is what did for David Dearie. The news served as a warning to wannabe-CEOs, thatthe devil is most definitely in the detail. For a full round-up of the media coverage of Dearie's departure, click here.
- Having mulled either an IPO or an all-out sale in recent years, the owner of Stock Spirits plumped for the former last week: Oaktree Capital will launch the offering next month, while remaining a significant shareholder in the spirits company. Speaking to just-drinks on Thursday, Stock's CEO Chris Heath gave further details behind the move and outlined the unit's plans post-IPO.
- In soft drinks, we spent some time talking to the heads of Gerber Emig and AG Barr last week. The former welcomed the imminent arrival of Suntory to the UK soft drinks scene. Suntory’s takeover of GlaxoSmithKline brands Ribena and Lucozade, announced earlier this month, will be “a good thing” for the UK soft drinks industry, said Andrew Biles. Meanwhile, Barr’s CEO, Roger White, noted that his company was never in the running for Ribena or Lucozade, despite reports suggesting a possible move. “They (the brands) never made it to the market,” White told us.
- Finally, Diageo hosted the celebrations of Arthur’s Day last week. The event, in honour of the founder of the Guinness beer brand, provoked the ire of several groups in Ireland, prompting me to wonder aloud: Has the annual event run its course?
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Diageo Australia's commercial head to step down
- William Grant upgrades Glenfiddich Cask Collection
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends