Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, withTreasury Wine Estates announcing the immediate departure of its CEO. Having been at the helm when the company re-dressed its wine inventory in the USearlier this year is what did for David Dearie. The news served as a warning to wannabe-CEOs, thatthe devil is most definitely in the detail. For a full round-up of the media coverage of Dearie's departure, click here.
- Having mulled either an IPO or an all-out sale in recent years, the owner of Stock Spirits plumped for the former last week: Oaktree Capital will launch the offering next month, while remaining a significant shareholder in the spirits company. Speaking to just-drinks on Thursday, Stock's CEO Chris Heath gave further details behind the move and outlined the unit's plans post-IPO.
- In soft drinks, we spent some time talking to the heads of Gerber Emig and AG Barr last week. The former welcomed the imminent arrival of Suntory to the UK soft drinks scene. Suntory’s takeover of GlaxoSmithKline brands Ribena and Lucozade, announced earlier this month, will be “a good thing” for the UK soft drinks industry, said Andrew Biles. Meanwhile, Barr’s CEO, Roger White, noted that his company was never in the running for Ribena or Lucozade, despite reports suggesting a possible move. “They (the brands) never made it to the market,” White told us.
- Finally, Diageo hosted the celebrations of Arthur’s Day last week. The event, in honour of the founder of the Guinness beer brand, provoked the ire of several groups in Ireland, prompting me to wonder aloud: Has the annual event run its course?
The camera soars low over fields of spiked agave plants, past workers toiling under the hot Mexican sun. You turn your head as you drift into the hold of a truck. Suddenly you're in a bustling Tequila...
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
The Coca-Cola Co has promoted its North American head as the regional unit faces up to switching consumer trends....
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research