Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, withTreasury Wine Estates announcing the immediate departure of its CEO. Having been at the helm when the company re-dressed its wine inventory in the USearlier this year is what did for David Dearie. The news served as a warning to wannabe-CEOs, thatthe devil is most definitely in the detail. For a full round-up of the media coverage of Dearie's departure, click here.
- Having mulled either an IPO or an all-out sale in recent years, the owner of Stock Spirits plumped for the former last week: Oaktree Capital will launch the offering next month, while remaining a significant shareholder in the spirits company. Speaking to just-drinks on Thursday, Stock's CEO Chris Heath gave further details behind the move and outlined the unit's plans post-IPO.
- In soft drinks, we spent some time talking to the heads of Gerber Emig and AG Barr last week. The former welcomed the imminent arrival of Suntory to the UK soft drinks scene. Suntory’s takeover of GlaxoSmithKline brands Ribena and Lucozade, announced earlier this month, will be “a good thing” for the UK soft drinks industry, said Andrew Biles. Meanwhile, Barr’s CEO, Roger White, noted that his company was never in the running for Ribena or Lucozade, despite reports suggesting a possible move. “They (the brands) never made it to the market,” White told us.
- Finally, Diageo hosted the celebrations of Arthur’s Day last week. The event, in honour of the founder of the Guinness beer brand, provoked the ire of several groups in Ireland, prompting me to wonder aloud: Has the annual event run its course?
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Constellation Brands basks in beer glory
- What do Brewers need from the UK Government?
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Molson Coors acquires Rekorderlig UK rights
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research