Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 30 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- We started with a bang on Monday morning, withTreasury Wine Estates announcing the immediate departure of its CEO. Having been at the helm when the company re-dressed its wine inventory in the USearlier this year is what did for David Dearie. The news served as a warning to wannabe-CEOs, thatthe devil is most definitely in the detail. For a full round-up of the media coverage of Dearie's departure, click here.
- Having mulled either an IPO or an all-out sale in recent years, the owner of Stock Spirits plumped for the former last week: Oaktree Capital will launch the offering next month, while remaining a significant shareholder in the spirits company. Speaking to just-drinks on Thursday, Stock's CEO Chris Heath gave further details behind the move and outlined the unit's plans post-IPO.
- In soft drinks, we spent some time talking to the heads of Gerber Emig and AG Barr last week. The former welcomed the imminent arrival of Suntory to the UK soft drinks scene. Suntory’s takeover of GlaxoSmithKline brands Ribena and Lucozade, announced earlier this month, will be “a good thing” for the UK soft drinks industry, said Andrew Biles. Meanwhile, Barr’s CEO, Roger White, noted that his company was never in the running for Ribena or Lucozade, despite reports suggesting a possible move. “They (the brands) never made it to the market,” White told us.
- Finally, Diageo hosted the celebrations of Arthur’s Day last week. The event, in honour of the founder of the Guinness beer brand, provoked the ire of several groups in Ireland, prompting me to wonder aloud: Has the annual event run its course?
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Diageo has turned a London landmark into a private club for its David Beckham-backed Haig Club Scotch whisky....
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research