Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 23 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The big spirits story was the appointment of a former Diageo executive as the new CEO at Whyte & Mackay. The news, reported exclusively by just-drinks, was preceded by the discovery earlier in the week that Bryan Donaghey had left Diageo, where he had been supply strategy director. Could this news provide an insight into the future ownership of Whyte & Mackay?
- Wines of South Africa concluded its search for a new CEO, with the news that Siobhan Thompson, Distell's head of global marketing for liqueurs, is leaving the company to assume the position. The news came a day after WoSA, Wines of Argentina and Wines of Chile collectively trumpeted the success of their inaugural southern hemisphere wine tasting event in London earlier this month.
- In the world of beer, SABMiller's new CEO Alan Clark put in an appearance at the company's latest quarterly divisional seminar in London last week. Conversation after his presentation turned, naturally, to M&A activity - or the recent lack of it - in the global brewing sector. Has M&A dried up? Click here to see what Clark had to say on the matter. We'll also have an interview with SABMiller's CEO up on the site later this week. In the meantime, head here for analyst UBS's countdown of the top 25 beer markets in the world.
- For all you soft drinks folk out there, Richard Corbett considered the latest innovation to hit the CSD market: Is the world ready for a hot carbonated beverage?
Finally, this month's management briefing for just-drinks members was published last week. To coincide with the Drinktec exhibition, which was being held in Munich throughout last week, we take an in-depth look at the beverage packaging channel globally. Click here for full details of the briefing, and click here for information on how to subscribe to just-drinks.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report