Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 23 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The big spirits story was the appointment of a former Diageo executive as the new CEO at Whyte & Mackay. The news, reported exclusively by just-drinks, was preceded by the discovery earlier in the week that Bryan Donaghey had left Diageo, where he had been supply strategy director. Could this news provide an insight into the future ownership of Whyte & Mackay?
- Wines of South Africa concluded its search for a new CEO, with the news that Siobhan Thompson, Distell's head of global marketing for liqueurs, is leaving the company to assume the position. The news came a day after WoSA, Wines of Argentina and Wines of Chile collectively trumpeted the success of their inaugural southern hemisphere wine tasting event in London earlier this month.
- In the world of beer, SABMiller's new CEO Alan Clark put in an appearance at the company's latest quarterly divisional seminar in London last week. Conversation after his presentation turned, naturally, to M&A activity - or the recent lack of it - in the global brewing sector. Has M&A dried up? Click here to see what Clark had to say on the matter. We'll also have an interview with SABMiller's CEO up on the site later this week. In the meantime, head here for analyst UBS's countdown of the top 25 beer markets in the world.
- For all you soft drinks folk out there, Richard Corbett considered the latest innovation to hit the CSD market: Is the world ready for a hot carbonated beverage?
Finally, this month's management briefing for just-drinks members was published last week. To coincide with the Drinktec exhibition, which was being held in Munich throughout last week, we take an in-depth look at the beverage packaging channel globally. Click here for full details of the briefing, and click here for information on how to subscribe to just-drinks.
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
Part of my lot on just-drinks is to nail down senior executives within our industry – the more senior the better. I've enjoyed interviewing many of the CEOs within our ranks, but one that I have never...
Sometimes, it's the simple things in life that are the most satisfying. Like a good book and a decent glass of wine......
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- What's behind Brown-Forman's Irish whiskey plans?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- How good a sustainability fit are ABI and SAB?
- Interview - Heineken global activation director
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Chandon to become "third pillar brand" for MH
- Brown-Forman silent on Southern Comfort report
- Pay freeze anger threatens Carlsberg UK site
- Stoli appoints international marketing director
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research