Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 23 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The big spirits story was the appointment of a former Diageo executive as the new CEO at Whyte & Mackay. The news, reported exclusively by just-drinks, was preceded by the discovery earlier in the week that Bryan Donaghey had left Diageo, where he had been supply strategy director. Could this news provide an insight into the future ownership of Whyte & Mackay?
- Wines of South Africa concluded its search for a new CEO, with the news that Siobhan Thompson, Distell's head of global marketing for liqueurs, is leaving the company to assume the position. The news came a day after WoSA, Wines of Argentina and Wines of Chile collectively trumpeted the success of their inaugural southern hemisphere wine tasting event in London earlier this month.
- In the world of beer, SABMiller's new CEO Alan Clark put in an appearance at the company's latest quarterly divisional seminar in London last week. Conversation after his presentation turned, naturally, to M&A activity - or the recent lack of it - in the global brewing sector. Has M&A dried up? Click here to see what Clark had to say on the matter. We'll also have an interview with SABMiller's CEO up on the site later this week. In the meantime, head here for analyst UBS's countdown of the top 25 beer markets in the world.
- For all you soft drinks folk out there, Richard Corbett considered the latest innovation to hit the CSD market: Is the world ready for a hot carbonated beverage?
Finally, this month's management briefing for just-drinks members was published last week. To coincide with the Drinktec exhibition, which was being held in Munich throughout last week, we take an in-depth look at the beverage packaging channel globally. Click here for full details of the briefing, and click here for information on how to subscribe to just-drinks.
Following the announcement that PepsiCo is dropping aspartame from its diet cola in the US, Drinksinfo's Ray Rowlands analyses the potential effect this could have on the country's soda market in gene...
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
This week, we speak to the retired managing director of Scotch whisky producer Gordon & Macphail, and just-drinks subscriber, Michael Urquhart....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets