Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 23 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The big spirits story was the appointment of a former Diageo executive as the new CEO at Whyte & Mackay. The news, reported exclusively by just-drinks, was preceded by the discovery earlier in the week that Bryan Donaghey had left Diageo, where he had been supply strategy director. Could this news provide an insight into the future ownership of Whyte & Mackay?
- Wines of South Africa concluded its search for a new CEO, with the news that Siobhan Thompson, Distell's head of global marketing for liqueurs, is leaving the company to assume the position. The news came a day after WoSA, Wines of Argentina and Wines of Chile collectively trumpeted the success of their inaugural southern hemisphere wine tasting event in London earlier this month.
- In the world of beer, SABMiller's new CEO Alan Clark put in an appearance at the company's latest quarterly divisional seminar in London last week. Conversation after his presentation turned, naturally, to M&A activity - or the recent lack of it - in the global brewing sector. Has M&A dried up? Click here to see what Clark had to say on the matter. We'll also have an interview with SABMiller's CEO up on the site later this week. In the meantime, head here for analyst UBS's countdown of the top 25 beer markets in the world.
- For all you soft drinks folk out there, Richard Corbett considered the latest innovation to hit the CSD market: Is the world ready for a hot carbonated beverage?
Finally, this month's management briefing for just-drinks members was published last week. To coincide with the Drinktec exhibition, which was being held in Munich throughout last week, we take an in-depth look at the beverage packaging channel globally. Click here for full details of the briefing, and click here for information on how to subscribe to just-drinks.
Bacardi has expanded its rum portfolio with the acquisition of Banks, a "super-premium" range that sells just 6,000 cases a year. The company announced the transaction today but did not release financ...
Frank Sinatra liked a drink. He was famous for it. ...
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
- Rekorderlig Deal Sees Molson Coors Miss Out
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- Constellation Brands basks in beer glory
- Bacardi buys Banks rum
- Diageo ditches Shui Jing Fang plans in China
- MillerCoors changes CMOs with immediate effect
- Diageo turns to W Ice in South Korea
- C&C Group chairman backs CEO amid turmoil