Blog: The just-drinks Weekly Round-Up
Olly Wehring | 23 September 2013
On just-drinks last week:
- The big spirits story was the appointment of a former Diageo executive as the new CEO at Whyte & Mackay. The news, reported exclusively by just-drinks, was preceded by the discovery earlier in the week that Bryan Donaghey had left Diageo, where he had been supply strategy director. Could this news provide an insight into the future ownership of Whyte & Mackay?
- Wines of South Africa concluded its search for a new CEO, with the news that Siobhan Thompson, Distell's head of global marketing for liqueurs, is leaving the company to assume the position. The news came a day after WoSA, Wines of Argentina and Wines of Chile collectively trumpeted the success of their inaugural southern hemisphere wine tasting event in London earlier this month.
- In the world of beer, SABMiller's new CEO Alan Clark put in an appearance at the company's latest quarterly divisional seminar in London last week. Conversation after his presentation turned, naturally, to M&A activity - or the recent lack of it - in the global brewing sector. Has M&A dried up? Click here to see what Clark had to say on the matter. We'll also have an interview with SABMiller's CEO up on the site later this week. In the meantime, head here for analyst UBS's countdown of the top 25 beer markets in the world.
- For all you soft drinks folk out there, Richard Corbett considered the latest innovation to hit the CSD market: Is the world ready for a hot carbonated beverage?
Finally, this month's management briefing for just-drinks members was published last week. To coincide with the Drinktec exhibition, which was being held in Munich throughout last week, we take an in-depth look at the beverage packaging channel globally. Click here for full details of the briefing, and click here for information on how to subscribe to just-drinks.
just-drinks is thrilled to welcome a new industry commentator to the fold. Until earlier this year, Ian Shackleton spent over 25 years as a beverages analyst with several major banks, including Credit...
Whenever we read anything about Millennial consumers, there is almost always mention of the personalisation trend as well as the importance of social media....
Ever wondered what fuels Anheuser-Busch InBev's acquisitional drive? Is it naked ambition? Faith? The good of mankind?...
Anheuser-Busch InBev is reportedly calling a halt to its Seth Rogan and Amy Schumer Bud Light campaign in the US....
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
- Cannabis – A clear and present danger to alcohol
- Is Irish whiskey ready to recognise its potential?
- Interview - Bernstein analyst Trevor Stirling
- Global Travel Retail - What is the Grey Market?
- The European beer market - Focus
- Diageo appoints first programmatic marketing head
- Corporate Relations Director to leave Diageo
- Bacardi names new global communications head
- Diageo strike threat postponed with fresh vote
- Pernod Ricard pairs Usain Bolt with Mumm Champagne