Blog: The American way
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 November 2003
Following a similar story for rival Allied Domecq a couple of weeks ago, Pernod was hit for €207m in what was an otherwise encouraging set of results, with underlying sales growth up 8.5% in the period.
Interestingly, just-drinks is attending a seminar this evening held by the Wine & Spirit Association on treasury and foreign exchange risk management. In view of the strengthening euro and the effect it has had on the drinks trade in the last 12 months, it should prove to be an interesting discussion.
Away from forex issues, the US continues to show encouraging signs of a recovery. Pernod said its US wine and spirits sales enjoyed accelerated organic growth during the 3rd quarter driven by an economic recovery in the country, and achieved a nine-month cumulative growth rate of 10.8%. Combined with Allied’s news two weeks ago that the strength of its US division helped negate a weaker Eurozone, there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.
This assumption is also borne out outside the drinks industry. From July to September, said the Commerce Department, the US economy recorded its fastest growth rate since 1984, with a 7.2% rise in GDP. That said there are still concerns. In particular, the bears point to the still high levels of unemployment and continuing anxiety among investors. The next six months will attract a lot of attention as the US audience tries to gauge whether this recovery is sustainable.
Heineken is gearing up for a product launch in Australia this month. But exactly what the product is, the brewer is not saying....
It's Summer in the northern hemisphere and the beer festivals are in full swing. Even the famously secluded North Korea is letting its regulation-cut hair down with the Taedonggang Beer Festival, name...
Drinks companies that use celebrities and influencers to endorse products via social media could be in line for some rule changes....
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
- Craft spirits shake-out will be just the beginning
- How Treasury is rewriting the rule book - Comment
- The decline of the flagship beer brand - Comment
- Job cuts not the whole story at AB InBev - Comment
- Coca-Cola India suspends bottling operations
- Diageo brands need "fixing and nurturing" - TWE
- Diageo revamps Gordon's gin bottle in UK
- Craft Brew Alliance poised for AB InBev takeover?
- SAB shareholders granted AB InBev vote split
- Pernod deal rescues Corby's FY
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Carlsberg AS (CARL B) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages