Blog: The American way
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 November 2003
Following a similar story for rival Allied Domecq a couple of weeks ago, Pernod was hit for €207m in what was an otherwise encouraging set of results, with underlying sales growth up 8.5% in the period.
Interestingly, just-drinks is attending a seminar this evening held by the Wine & Spirit Association on treasury and foreign exchange risk management. In view of the strengthening euro and the effect it has had on the drinks trade in the last 12 months, it should prove to be an interesting discussion.
Away from forex issues, the US continues to show encouraging signs of a recovery. Pernod said its US wine and spirits sales enjoyed accelerated organic growth during the 3rd quarter driven by an economic recovery in the country, and achieved a nine-month cumulative growth rate of 10.8%. Combined with Allied’s news two weeks ago that the strength of its US division helped negate a weaker Eurozone, there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.
This assumption is also borne out outside the drinks industry. From July to September, said the Commerce Department, the US economy recorded its fastest growth rate since 1984, with a 7.2% rise in GDP. That said there are still concerns. In particular, the bears point to the still high levels of unemployment and continuing anxiety among investors. The next six months will attract a lot of attention as the US audience tries to gauge whether this recovery is sustainable.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review