Blog: The American way
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 November 2003
Following a similar story for rival Allied Domecq a couple of weeks ago, Pernod was hit for €207m in what was an otherwise encouraging set of results, with underlying sales growth up 8.5% in the period.
Interestingly, just-drinks is attending a seminar this evening held by the Wine & Spirit Association on treasury and foreign exchange risk management. In view of the strengthening euro and the effect it has had on the drinks trade in the last 12 months, it should prove to be an interesting discussion.
Away from forex issues, the US continues to show encouraging signs of a recovery. Pernod said its US wine and spirits sales enjoyed accelerated organic growth during the 3rd quarter driven by an economic recovery in the country, and achieved a nine-month cumulative growth rate of 10.8%. Combined with Allied’s news two weeks ago that the strength of its US division helped negate a weaker Eurozone, there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.
This assumption is also borne out outside the drinks industry. From July to September, said the Commerce Department, the US economy recorded its fastest growth rate since 1984, with a 7.2% rise in GDP. That said there are still concerns. In particular, the bears point to the still high levels of unemployment and continuing anxiety among investors. The next six months will attract a lot of attention as the US audience tries to gauge whether this recovery is sustainable.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic hits make-or-break time for US Fruit Shoot
- Beam Suntory to sell brandy & sherry to Emperador
- Former Diageo exec joins William Grant in LatAm
- A-B InBev mulls sale of Peroni, Grolsch - report
- This week in spirits & wine
- Poland warning sends Stock Spirits shares tumbling
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts