Blog: The American way
Chris Brook-Carter | 4 November 2003
Following a similar story for rival Allied Domecq a couple of weeks ago, Pernod was hit for €207m in what was an otherwise encouraging set of results, with underlying sales growth up 8.5% in the period.
Interestingly, just-drinks is attending a seminar this evening held by the Wine & Spirit Association on treasury and foreign exchange risk management. In view of the strengthening euro and the effect it has had on the drinks trade in the last 12 months, it should prove to be an interesting discussion.
Away from forex issues, the US continues to show encouraging signs of a recovery. Pernod said its US wine and spirits sales enjoyed accelerated organic growth during the 3rd quarter driven by an economic recovery in the country, and achieved a nine-month cumulative growth rate of 10.8%. Combined with Allied’s news two weeks ago that the strength of its US division helped negate a weaker Eurozone, there appears to be light at the end of the tunnel.
This assumption is also borne out outside the drinks industry. From July to September, said the Commerce Department, the US economy recorded its fastest growth rate since 1984, with a 7.2% rise in GDP. That said there are still concerns. In particular, the bears point to the still high levels of unemployment and continuing anxiety among investors. The next six months will attract a lot of attention as the US audience tries to gauge whether this recovery is sustainable.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends