Blog: TFWA - The bubble continues
Andy Morton | 26 October 2012
Friday, the sixth and final day of TFWA, and as the heavens open above Cannes, just-drinks joins everyone in packing up and heading home.
The consensus seems to be that its been a good exhibition, another chance to meet with a wide range of clients and see some familiar faces.
If there has been an overarching trend, it's the continuation of travel retail innovations, or "differentiation" as Diageo called it at the launch of its exclusive-to-airports Johnnie Walker collection. Travel retail units are still chasing Russians and Chinese around the globe, whether they are ditching Egypt for Thailand or Turkey, while newly-affluent customers in Africa, such as Nigerians, are becoming increasingly talked about.
New technology is also starting to filter in and firms are slowly becoming aware of its potential. On a wider scale, the sector still seems to be in a bubble and less prone to economic headwinds felt elsewhere in the drinks market.
And, everyone we spoke to at the exhibition seemed confident that will continue, to next year at least.
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Focus - Suntory Holdings' FY Performance
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report