Blog: Tequila question
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 October 2003
But though the gin cocktails we were served demonstrated once more the potential for gin to gain lost ground on vodka if it was given the right backing, it was really another white spirit cousin I was interested in - Tequila.
Its was difficult to know from afar how serious to take the news last week that the US drinks industry was deeply concerned by the Mexican Tequila authorities' plans to insist all Tequila be bottled in Mexico. On meeting delegates from DISCUS, the answer quickly became clear - very.
DISCUS's head of communications Frank Coleman told me: "We are going to be very aggressive with this."
At the moment, around 50% of the world's Tequila consumption takes place in the US. Of that total 83% is imported in bulk and then bottled locally, including the major brands Sauza and Jose Cuervo.
Both sides are claiming to be backed by international trade laws, but that's an awful lot of jobs that would go south of the border if Mexico gets its way - jobs both countries' governments need in the present enviroment. With accusations mounting, the US government look set to get involved and I think we can expect a long, drawn out and heated trade battle before a conclusion is reached on this one.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Much Work to do on Packaging in the US
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Tough US hits Mast-Jagermeister volumes in 2014
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- George Clooney launches Tequila Casamigos in UK
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report