Blog: Tequila question
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 October 2003
But though the gin cocktails we were served demonstrated once more the potential for gin to gain lost ground on vodka if it was given the right backing, it was really another white spirit cousin I was interested in - Tequila.
Its was difficult to know from afar how serious to take the news last week that the US drinks industry was deeply concerned by the Mexican Tequila authorities' plans to insist all Tequila be bottled in Mexico. On meeting delegates from DISCUS, the answer quickly became clear - very.
DISCUS's head of communications Frank Coleman told me: "We are going to be very aggressive with this."
At the moment, around 50% of the world's Tequila consumption takes place in the US. Of that total 83% is imported in bulk and then bottled locally, including the major brands Sauza and Jose Cuervo.
Both sides are claiming to be backed by international trade laws, but that's an awful lot of jobs that would go south of the border if Mexico gets its way - jobs both countries' governments need in the present enviroment. With accusations mounting, the US government look set to get involved and I think we can expect a long, drawn out and heated trade battle before a conclusion is reached on this one.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research