Blog: Tequila question
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 October 2003
But though the gin cocktails we were served demonstrated once more the potential for gin to gain lost ground on vodka if it was given the right backing, it was really another white spirit cousin I was interested in - Tequila.
Its was difficult to know from afar how serious to take the news last week that the US drinks industry was deeply concerned by the Mexican Tequila authorities' plans to insist all Tequila be bottled in Mexico. On meeting delegates from DISCUS, the answer quickly became clear - very.
DISCUS's head of communications Frank Coleman told me: "We are going to be very aggressive with this."
At the moment, around 50% of the world's Tequila consumption takes place in the US. Of that total 83% is imported in bulk and then bottled locally, including the major brands Sauza and Jose Cuervo.
Both sides are claiming to be backed by international trade laws, but that's an awful lot of jobs that would go south of the border if Mexico gets its way - jobs both countries' governments need in the present enviroment. With accusations mounting, the US government look set to get involved and I think we can expect a long, drawn out and heated trade battle before a conclusion is reached on this one.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Inver House Distillers posts FY profits leap
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research