Blog: Tequila question
Chris Brook-Carter | 6 October 2003
But though the gin cocktails we were served demonstrated once more the potential for gin to gain lost ground on vodka if it was given the right backing, it was really another white spirit cousin I was interested in - Tequila.
Its was difficult to know from afar how serious to take the news last week that the US drinks industry was deeply concerned by the Mexican Tequila authorities' plans to insist all Tequila be bottled in Mexico. On meeting delegates from DISCUS, the answer quickly became clear - very.
DISCUS's head of communications Frank Coleman told me: "We are going to be very aggressive with this."
At the moment, around 50% of the world's Tequila consumption takes place in the US. Of that total 83% is imported in bulk and then bottled locally, including the major brands Sauza and Jose Cuervo.
Both sides are claiming to be backed by international trade laws, but that's an awful lot of jobs that would go south of the border if Mexico gets its way - jobs both countries' governments need in the present enviroment. With accusations mounting, the US government look set to get involved and I think we can expect a long, drawn out and heated trade battle before a conclusion is reached on this one.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research