Blog: System break down
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 November 2003
There have been mutterings for some time by disgruntled producers that listings at this monolithic organisation were not always above board.
No, the surprise is that it has taken so long for the government to realise that there need to be changes and that, within that framework, privatisation is still not being considered.
After all, any organisation entrusted with so much power is open to abuse. They can clean out the corrupt operators, but in ten years' time there is every chance they will have been replaced with new ones; such is the way of monopolies.
The only way to really sort this out is to dismantle the system itself and introduce a free market. But, for all the hand-wringing in Stockholm, that particular topic still seems to be off the radar.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Guinness Nigeria sees YTD sales, profits tumble
- Bacardi recruits ex-News International exec
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends