Blog: Stevia - a bitter pill for sugar?
Andy Morton | 14 March 2013
There's an interesting article on sugar prices in this week's New York magazine that will no doubt raise the ire of soft drinks executives.
It claims that despite massive government subsidies - and a recent big harvest - the US sugar industry is keeping prices artificially high.
But while the writer calls for an Occupy Sugar protest, the US drinks companies paying through the nose for sugar may have another answer. More stevia-based beverages are coming down the pipe each week, from PepsiCo's Trop50 range to The Coca-Cola Co's revamped Sprite, and the natural extract, which is 30 times sweeter than sugar, could insulate firms from the sugar industry.
As I wrote this year, stevia growers are already benefiting from an increase in interest in the plant.
Of course, who's to say that a few years down the line we won't need protecting from the all-powerful stevia lobby, who's huge profits have won it the ear of Washington and the patronage of the president?
Remember, you heard it here first - Occupy Stevia!
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets