Blog: Spirited advance
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 November 2003
“This is an unfavourable trend for beer, which we expect to continue. But we also expect beer to rebound over the next 12 months, returning to a much smaller decrement versus spirits growth,” he said.
The major factor, Swartzberg believes, is that the current generation of young adults drinks less beer per capita than prior generations, favouring spirits instead. He pointed to data from Miller Brewing, which estimates that the US population of 21- to 27-year-olds drinks 72% more beer than the average adult. However, this population's per capita consumption will decline approximately 1.1% per year for the period 2002-2007.
He also believes that the spirits category is less susceptible to adverse weather and potentially less impacted by a weak economy than beer, though both categories have similar exposures to the more economically sensitive on-premise sector.
Here in London, the second Wine Week has kicked off to coincide with UK wine trade event London Wine Fair. ...
Commuting in London is a drag. It’s overcrowded, sweaty and rarely goes to plan. In fact, it’s enough to turn a person to drink....
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
- Will Tequila Learn from Scotch Whisky's Mistakes?
- Comment - How to Target Cognac's Mok Generation?
- Is Marketing Twisting the Meanings of Words?
- Analysis - The Value of Prosecco
- Sustainability - Walking the Walk on Water
- Whyte & Mackay takes on Flor de Caña in UK
- SPI Group US, Canada sales chief departs
- Belvedere proposes name change
- Soaring Prosecco sales good for Champagne
- Brown-Forman eyes family ties with board additions
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review