Blog: Spirited advance
Chris Brook-Carter | 11 November 2003
“This is an unfavourable trend for beer, which we expect to continue. But we also expect beer to rebound over the next 12 months, returning to a much smaller decrement versus spirits growth,” he said.
The major factor, Swartzberg believes, is that the current generation of young adults drinks less beer per capita than prior generations, favouring spirits instead. He pointed to data from Miller Brewing, which estimates that the US population of 21- to 27-year-olds drinks 72% more beer than the average adult. However, this population's per capita consumption will decline approximately 1.1% per year for the period 2002-2007.
He also believes that the spirits category is less susceptible to adverse weather and potentially less impacted by a weak economy than beer, though both categories have similar exposures to the more economically sensitive on-premise sector.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research