Blog: Scotch for the Scots?
Andy Morton | 10 January 2013
A BBC Scotland investigation, aired last night, got all hot and bothered over the apparent lack of benefit whisky companies were according the country, particularly now business elites from Anhui to Angola are pushing profits ever higher.
An economics professor even suggested slapping a water tax on every bottle - it is, after all, only Scottish water that can be used to make real Scotch. (The Scotch Whisky Association yesterday heaped scorn on any so-called "tartan tax".)
But the programme's main beef – that not enough whisky companies are based in Scotland – may partly be offset by two stories out of the badlands of Fife this week. One, that a new whisky maker has received planning permission for a 4m-litre distillery, is on a far larger scale than the other, which saw funding secured for a 150,000-litre 'boutique' plant. But both are Scottish-owned and based and, though catering for widely disparate markets, are being aided by the Scottish Government.
In a comment piece last week, I mentioned the Food Processing Marketing and Cooperation grant that is set to play a key role in the setting up of smaller-scale, locally-owned distilleries, similar to the hundreds around the US that have added colour and diversity to the North American whiskey market.
The grant is targeted and focused on assistance for small-business development - surely a much better idea for Scotch, and Scotland, than a blanket tax hike.
You can view the BBC Scotland programme, Scotched Earth, here (only available in the UK).
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report