Blog: Rumours brewing
Chris Brook-Carter | 28 January 2004
Shares in the UK's Scottish & Newcastle were at a 12-month high yesterday as close to six times the average number of the brewer’s shares changed hands.
The most logical explanation behind the leap was a Credit Suisse First Boston investment note that has suggested the company can make substantial savings by restructuring and closing two of its five breweries (see yesterday’s news). However, when just-drinks spoke to S&N today we were told: "It's just analysts' speculation. We've nothing to add on the matter."
However, more exciting explanations include rumours that the wine and spirit giants Diageo and Allied Domecq are both considering making bids for the UK’s number one brewer.
Any such deal would bring together a powerful spirits portfolio with a strong beer range in the UK - a great package for the on-trade especially. In Diageo’s case, you can add Guinness to the mix and the potential takes even better shape.
Diageo CEO Paul Walsh has hinted at beer alliances in the past, with Heineken for example. Indeed, the owner of Smirnoff already has a joint venture with the Dutch brewer in Liberia. And S&N is certainly vulnerable at present.
But Diageo has shied away from making acquisitions in the relatively low-margin beer industry in the past, and it seems unlikely Allied would want to get back into beer having disposed of its brewing interests in 1996.
More likely is that if a takeover is to emerge from anywhere, it will be from within the beer industry itself. SABMiller and Anheuser-Busch remain the most obvious candidates.
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research