Blog: Reputation re-building as Mr 'New Coke' heads to Castle
Andy Morton | 10 May 2013
There's an old joke that riffs on an unfortunate elderly farmer who can't live down an amorous encounter with a fluffy farm animal. Never mind that it happened once, and a long time ago at that, he's destined to be forever known around his local village by a nickname I can't repeat here.
I remembered the joke today when I read about a former CMO of the Coca-Cola Co who is joining the board of directors at Castle Brands, a spirits and wines brand developer based out of New York. Sergio Zyman is a multiple author, writer of such memorable slogans as “Coke Is It” and a man who reportedly sold a majority stake in his marketing firm for US$63.8m.
However, because he was behind the fiasco that was 'New Coke', he won't be remembered for any of that. Instead any story on Zyman (including ours) will forever refer to him first and foremost as “the guy who gave us New Coke”.
Some things you can never live down.
A couple of months ago, US-based Saltwater Brewery developed 'edible six-pack rings' in an effort to curb threats to wildlife....
Last month, SPI Group unveiled its latest advert for Stolichnaya in the US. Its an amusing little number that caries the instruction: Drink what you want. The “I am man” ad looks to distance Millennia...
Who do you work for? I ask, merely to draw your attention to just-drinks’ company pages....
This weekend sees yet another “International Day” for a drinks category. Lucky us. Anyway, ahead of Sunday’s International Cachaça Day, here’s a wealth of information on Brazil’s national spirit, cour...
- A Wild Geese, Pernod Ricard conspiracy theory?
- Coca-Cola Beverages Africa - A new powerhouse
- Can craft breweries compete in lager arena?
- Remy Cointreau's Q1 performance by brand, region
- SABMiller's Q1 2017 results - Preview
- Diageo silent on United Spirits job losses
- Diageo starts formal talks over UK pension cuts
- New Hendrick's Gin would have to be "unusual"
- AB InBev faces US$7bn price rise for SABMiller
- Wild Geese gets Australian nod in Pernod legal row
- Adultifying Soft Drinks; Capitalizing on rising adult demand for non-alcoholic beverages
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends