Blog: Reputation re-building as Mr 'New Coke' heads to Castle
Andy Morton | 10 May 2013
There's an old joke that riffs on an unfortunate elderly farmer who can't live down an amorous encounter with a fluffy farm animal. Never mind that it happened once, and a long time ago at that, he's destined to be forever known around his local village by a nickname I can't repeat here.
I remembered the joke today when I read about a former CMO of the Coca-Cola Co who is joining the board of directors at Castle Brands, a spirits and wines brand developer based out of New York. Sergio Zyman is a multiple author, writer of such memorable slogans as “Coke Is It” and a man who reportedly sold a majority stake in his marketing firm for US$63.8m.
However, because he was behind the fiasco that was 'New Coke', he won't be remembered for any of that. Instead any story on Zyman (including ours) will forever refer to him first and foremost as “the guy who gave us New Coke”.
Some things you can never live down.
Heineken is known for its flashy adverts. Now the brewer has given the star treatment to a new recruitment drive with a glamorous and highly-persuasive ad that, quite frankly, had the staff here at...
Move over iPhone 7 headphones-gate, there is a new Apple product causing a stir. Or a shake. Or just a shot....
I was full of questions yesterday when reading our news story about Bacardi's Martini Smart Cube. An ice cube-shaped device that can provide real-time information about its consumer? How? What? Why? H...
News reaches us today of what has been heralded as the "world's most daring whisky challenge". The Ultimate Ardbeg ARDventurer has been launched this week with an inaugural three-day camping trip....
- Why sports drinks fail to ride the Olympic wave
- What do US wholesalers think of spirits trends?
- It isn't just men who like beer - Comment
- Experienced hands hold firm at CCEP - Analysis
- How the craft economy is loosening alcohol laws
- Diageo merges US, Canada spirits units
- Johnnie Walker's Bourbon bent "coincidental"
- "We're not complacent about Brexit" - Diageo
- Luxury and e-commerce a "natural fit" - Diageo
- Diageo's Johnnie Walker set for festive push in TR
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends