Blog: Reputation re-building as Mr 'New Coke' heads to Castle
Andy Morton | 10 May 2013
There's an old joke that riffs on an unfortunate elderly farmer who can't live down an amorous encounter with a fluffy farm animal. Never mind that it happened once, and a long time ago at that, he's destined to be forever known around his local village by a nickname I can't repeat here.
I remembered the joke today when I read about a former CMO of the Coca-Cola Co who is joining the board of directors at Castle Brands, a spirits and wines brand developer based out of New York. Sergio Zyman is a multiple author, writer of such memorable slogans as “Coke Is It” and a man who reportedly sold a majority stake in his marketing firm for US$63.8m.
However, because he was behind the fiasco that was 'New Coke', he won't be remembered for any of that. Instead any story on Zyman (including ours) will forever refer to him first and foremost as “the guy who gave us New Coke”.
Some things you can never live down.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- What's coming up in beer in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp
- Heineken in talks to buy Kirin's Brazil presence
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- The Next Seven Big Beverage Markets
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Opportunities in Craft Spirits