Blog: Raising a glass
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 August 2003
Stewart was one of the first people I interviewed as editor of just-drinks and, along with many other journalists I have spoken to, I have always found him an engaging and passionate speaker on the beer industry.
His position as head of Interbrew UK was always going to thrust him to the front of industry affairs, but he has used that leadership position to become something of a standard bearer for the UK beer market, particularly in his battle to drive quality and improve the category’s image.
The man charged with filling those shoes is Steve Cahillane, who comes fresh from leading Interbrew’s US division, Labatt USA, to new heights, including doubling Stella volumes in the country for the last two years.
However, the UK market is an altogether different and tougher animal to the US imported beer market and it will be interesting to see how a man used to running a developing, but high growth business deals with the stagnant and deeply competitive environment in the UK.
Some then may question the wisdom of appointing an “outsider” to so demanding a position. But Steve Cahillane was both candid on the night about the challenges ahead and apparently keen to continue Gilliland’s efforts to raise the profile of beer in this country. His fresh perspective from across the Atlantic, where, he says, the UK is viewed as the home of beer, may also prove a bonus, as will a stint in Europe already with that original school of hard knocks E&J Gallo.
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the second and final part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol...
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
- AB InBev, SABMiller - Here's what'll happen next
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- Diageo makes US$780.5m beer deal with Heineken
- SABMiller formally rejects AB InBev's offer
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research