Blog: Raising a glass
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 August 2003
Stewart was one of the first people I interviewed as editor of just-drinks and, along with many other journalists I have spoken to, I have always found him an engaging and passionate speaker on the beer industry.
His position as head of Interbrew UK was always going to thrust him to the front of industry affairs, but he has used that leadership position to become something of a standard bearer for the UK beer market, particularly in his battle to drive quality and improve the category’s image.
The man charged with filling those shoes is Steve Cahillane, who comes fresh from leading Interbrew’s US division, Labatt USA, to new heights, including doubling Stella volumes in the country for the last two years.
However, the UK market is an altogether different and tougher animal to the US imported beer market and it will be interesting to see how a man used to running a developing, but high growth business deals with the stagnant and deeply competitive environment in the UK.
Some then may question the wisdom of appointing an “outsider” to so demanding a position. But Steve Cahillane was both candid on the night about the challenges ahead and apparently keen to continue Gilliland’s efforts to raise the profile of beer in this country. His fresh perspective from across the Atlantic, where, he says, the UK is viewed as the home of beer, may also prove a bonus, as will a stint in Europe already with that original school of hard knocks E&J Gallo.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research