Blog: Raising a glass
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 August 2003
Stewart was one of the first people I interviewed as editor of just-drinks and, along with many other journalists I have spoken to, I have always found him an engaging and passionate speaker on the beer industry.
His position as head of Interbrew UK was always going to thrust him to the front of industry affairs, but he has used that leadership position to become something of a standard bearer for the UK beer market, particularly in his battle to drive quality and improve the category’s image.
The man charged with filling those shoes is Steve Cahillane, who comes fresh from leading Interbrew’s US division, Labatt USA, to new heights, including doubling Stella volumes in the country for the last two years.
However, the UK market is an altogether different and tougher animal to the US imported beer market and it will be interesting to see how a man used to running a developing, but high growth business deals with the stagnant and deeply competitive environment in the UK.
Some then may question the wisdom of appointing an “outsider” to so demanding a position. But Steve Cahillane was both candid on the night about the challenges ahead and apparently keen to continue Gilliland’s efforts to raise the profile of beer in this country. His fresh perspective from across the Atlantic, where, he says, the UK is viewed as the home of beer, may also prove a bonus, as will a stint in Europe already with that original school of hard knocks E&J Gallo.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research