Blog: Raising a glass
Chris Brook-Carter | 29 August 2003
Stewart was one of the first people I interviewed as editor of just-drinks and, along with many other journalists I have spoken to, I have always found him an engaging and passionate speaker on the beer industry.
His position as head of Interbrew UK was always going to thrust him to the front of industry affairs, but he has used that leadership position to become something of a standard bearer for the UK beer market, particularly in his battle to drive quality and improve the category’s image.
The man charged with filling those shoes is Steve Cahillane, who comes fresh from leading Interbrew’s US division, Labatt USA, to new heights, including doubling Stella volumes in the country for the last two years.
However, the UK market is an altogether different and tougher animal to the US imported beer market and it will be interesting to see how a man used to running a developing, but high growth business deals with the stagnant and deeply competitive environment in the UK.
Some then may question the wisdom of appointing an “outsider” to so demanding a position. But Steve Cahillane was both candid on the night about the challenges ahead and apparently keen to continue Gilliland’s efforts to raise the profile of beer in this country. His fresh perspective from across the Atlantic, where, he says, the UK is viewed as the home of beer, may also prove a bonus, as will a stint in Europe already with that original school of hard knocks E&J Gallo.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- The dangers of squaring up to your competitor
- The US beer market - A level playing field for all
- Remy Cointreau's Q2 and H1 - preview
- Constellation and Ballast Point's "sticker shock"
- Sidney Frank CEO to head Clooney's import co
- Diageo sells off United Spirits' Bouvet Ladubay
- Irish whiskey brands could fail without bulk
- Diageo Australia appoints commercial head
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Wine Market: News and Events September 2015