Blog: Oregon's big idea - the wine growler
Andy Morton | 7 January 2013
Oregon's winemakers have enjoyed a decent run in recent times. Figures released by the region's trade body last month showed that volumes and sales rose by 9% in 2011.
But to keep up that momentum, the Oregon Winegrowers Association (OWA) has unveiled a new secret weapon: the wine "growler".
Based on the half-gallon jug-like container traditionally used to transport beer in the US, also known as a growler, the wine version can hold up four-times that, but is still reusable.
The OWA, which prides itself on its innovation, foresees refilling spigots in wine shops, grocery stores, restaurants and bars. It hopes it will save on glass wastage and give the state a marketable idea, while the group is confident it will catch on elsewhere.
The growler is already available from on-site stores at a few Oregon wineries, but the OWA is backing a state bill to extend their use.
If the bill is approved, expect to see Oregon growlers before the end of the summer.
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
Most of the time, changes at the top of a company present themselves in press releases, stock exchange filings or responses from a spokesperson....
- When BRIC markets go horribly wrong
- What's coming up in spirits in 2017? - Comment
- Diageo’s H1 2017 results - Preview
- Remy Cointreau's YTD performance - Focus
- Remy Cointreau's bellwether Q3 - analysis
- Diageo closes spirits e-commerce portal in UK
- AB InBev targets South Africa with redundancy plan
- A-B InBev acquires Spain's Cervezas La Virgen
- Home entertaining offers drinks opp's - Diageo
- Pernod Ricard gives Beefeater 24 packaging revamp