Blog: Oregon's big idea - the wine growler
Andy Morton | 7 January 2013
Oregon's winemakers have enjoyed a decent run in recent times. Figures released by the region's trade body last month showed that volumes and sales rose by 9% in 2011.
But to keep up that momentum, the Oregon Winegrowers Association (OWA) has unveiled a new secret weapon: the wine "growler".
Based on the half-gallon jug-like container traditionally used to transport beer in the US, also known as a growler, the wine version can hold up four-times that, but is still reusable.
The OWA, which prides itself on its innovation, foresees refilling spigots in wine shops, grocery stores, restaurants and bars. It hopes it will save on glass wastage and give the state a marketable idea, while the group is confident it will catch on elsewhere.
The growler is already available from on-site stores at a few Oregon wineries, but the OWA is backing a state bill to extend their use.
If the bill is approved, expect to see Oregon growlers before the end of the summer.
Forget gluten-free. Fodmaps are the latest food trend, and if you work in the soft drinks industry it is important to know where you stand with them....
Companies are very protective of their brand image. So it is refreshing to hear Diageo's Garbhan O’Bric, the global brand director for Baileys, speak the unvarnished truth when talking about the lique...
Alcohol companies love a good movie tie-in. A brush with Hollywood glamour seems to give marketers the warm and fuzzies, judging by the number of deals done over the past few years. The new James Bond...
just-drinks is in Cannes this week at the Tax Free World Association show. Here's the second part of Andy Morton's blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of the most important dates in the Trave...
- How to turn a domestic spirit into a global brand
- Mahou San Miguel - just the Facts
- Whatever happened to binge Britain? - comment
- Britvic's FY Performance by Region - Focus
- A game of two halves for Remy Cointreau - Analysis
- Captain Morgan distillation trial queried by USVI
- Sazerac sues Brown-Forman over Tennessee Fire
- This week in spirits & wine
- Craft, imports near 50% share in US on-trade
- Beam Suntory's Laphroaig Brodir - NPD
- Global Beer Trends 2015 : Global Beer Trends and Long-term Forecasts
- Global sparkling wine insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global Wine Market to 2019 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts
- Global Beer Market 2015-2019