Blog: Oregon's big idea - the wine growler
Andy Morton | 7 January 2013
Oregon's winemakers have enjoyed a decent run in recent times. Figures released by the region's trade body last month showed that volumes and sales rose by 9% in 2011.
But to keep up that momentum, the Oregon Winegrowers Association (OWA) has unveiled a new secret weapon: the wine "growler".
Based on the half-gallon jug-like container traditionally used to transport beer in the US, also known as a growler, the wine version can hold up four-times that, but is still reusable.
The OWA, which prides itself on its innovation, foresees refilling spigots in wine shops, grocery stores, restaurants and bars. It hopes it will save on glass wastage and give the state a marketable idea, while the group is confident it will catch on elsewhere.
The growler is already available from on-site stores at a few Oregon wineries, but the OWA is backing a state bill to extend their use.
If the bill is approved, expect to see Oregon growlers before the end of the summer.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research