Blog: Oregon's big idea - the wine growler
Andy Morton | 7 January 2013
Oregon's winemakers have enjoyed a decent run in recent times. Figures released by the region's trade body last month showed that volumes and sales rose by 9% in 2011.
But to keep up that momentum, the Oregon Winegrowers Association (OWA) has unveiled a new secret weapon: the wine "growler".
Based on the half-gallon jug-like container traditionally used to transport beer in the US, also known as a growler, the wine version can hold up four-times that, but is still reusable.
The OWA, which prides itself on its innovation, foresees refilling spigots in wine shops, grocery stores, restaurants and bars. It hopes it will save on glass wastage and give the state a marketable idea, while the group is confident it will catch on elsewhere.
The growler is already available from on-site stores at a few Oregon wineries, but the OWA is backing a state bill to extend their use.
If the bill is approved, expect to see Oregon growlers before the end of the summer.
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Private equity poised for SABMiller Europe buy?
- AB InBev to sell SABMiller Cent'l, E Europe assets
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Kirin eyes expansion after Byron Bay Brewing buy
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global travel retail insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?