Blog: Night on the beers
Chris Brook-Carter | 25 September 2003
There is still plenty of work to be done, particularly in the US, which group marketing director Mark Sherrington called the company's "first and probably second, third and fourth priority". And SABMiller has yet to successfully convince it can turn any one of Miller, Peroni or Urquell from "global potential" into world-beater to rival the likes of Heineken or Budweiser.
But on a local level, the group - particularly in emerging markets - continues to lead the way. This understanding of the emerging markets was demonstrated in an interesting case study on its Polish acquisition Tyskie, which it bought in 1997. In that time SABMiller has taken the brand from a local player in the South of Poland, with only a 10.6% share of the Polish market, to the largest beer brand in Central and Eastern Europe, with a growth of 24%.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- Martell's CEO & chairman, Philippe Guettat
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Currency woes hurt Latin American FTZs - Diageo
- A-B InBev snaps up Bogotá Beer Co in Colombia
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Beam Suntory defeats 'handmade' lawsuit
- Diageo Canada adds new RTD canning line
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review