Blog: Mummy's brew
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 January 2004
We reported this story - in fact, I think it was Musty Bunches who picked up on it - some time last year. However, with the official release closing in, its worth a recap.
The Japanese brewer Kirin Brewery has recreated "as accurately as possible" the beer of the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt by employing an experimental archaeological technique at its brewery in Amagi.
Of all the new product launches this year to add interest to the beer category, it will probably be the strangest - and possibly one of the strongest at 10% (how did they ever get those pyramids built?).
There are no plans reported of a commercial launch and those wishing to taste the beer will have to get information from the brewery itself, although 200 "lucky" winners will be picked from a hat to taste the beer in late February. Given that the company has interpreted wall paintings illustrating the beer-making process in the New Kingdom dating from 1570-1070 BC to come up with the recipe, the results will be interesting to say the least.
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Diageo lining up Gleneagles sale - report
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research