Blog: Mummy's brew
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 January 2004
We reported this story - in fact, I think it was Musty Bunches who picked up on it - some time last year. However, with the official release closing in, its worth a recap.
The Japanese brewer Kirin Brewery has recreated "as accurately as possible" the beer of the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt by employing an experimental archaeological technique at its brewery in Amagi.
Of all the new product launches this year to add interest to the beer category, it will probably be the strangest - and possibly one of the strongest at 10% (how did they ever get those pyramids built?).
There are no plans reported of a commercial launch and those wishing to taste the beer will have to get information from the brewery itself, although 200 "lucky" winners will be picked from a hat to taste the beer in late February. Given that the company has interpreted wall paintings illustrating the beer-making process in the New Kingdom dating from 1570-1070 BC to come up with the recipe, the results will be interesting to say the least.
For those people looking to the Red Planet as shining utopia away from all things earth, look away now....
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
- Most Valuable Spirits Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Most Valuable Beer Brands in 2017 - The facts
- Diageo Africa president O'Keeffe on beer & spirits
- Travel Retail needs a disruptor - Comment
- What the future looks like for Australian wine
- Diageo ready to lock horns with AB InBev in Africa
- Heineken sees Tesco pull SKUs in UK
- Fever-Tree eyes bumper NPD, pack formats for 2017
- Coca-Cola Co announces senior executive shake-up
- Heineken mulls M&A with $1.75bn notes issue
- Central and East Europe Report Package
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Battle of the Generations - The fight for iGen, Millennial, Gen X and Baby Boomer consumers
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Spirit Market in the Top 5 European Countries to 2021 - Market Size, Development, and Forecasts