Blog: Mummy's brew
Chris Brook-Carter | 9 January 2004
We reported this story - in fact, I think it was Musty Bunches who picked up on it - some time last year. However, with the official release closing in, its worth a recap.
The Japanese brewer Kirin Brewery has recreated "as accurately as possible" the beer of the New Kingdom of ancient Egypt by employing an experimental archaeological technique at its brewery in Amagi.
Of all the new product launches this year to add interest to the beer category, it will probably be the strangest - and possibly one of the strongest at 10% (how did they ever get those pyramids built?).
There are no plans reported of a commercial launch and those wishing to taste the beer will have to get information from the brewery itself, although 200 "lucky" winners will be picked from a hat to taste the beer in late February. Given that the company has interpreted wall paintings illustrating the beer-making process in the New Kingdom dating from 1570-1070 BC to come up with the recipe, the results will be interesting to say the least.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- Focus - Coca-Cola's Q1 Performance by Region
- Diet Coke "a work in progress" in US - Coca-Cola
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- BrewDog launches GBP25m crowd-funding attempt
- Africa "subdued" but Heineken sees Q1 rises
- Elements 8 revamps rum packaging
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report