Blog: Minimum pricing heads back to court
James Wilmore | 15 January 2013
The battle over minimum pricing enters yet another chapter today (15 January) when the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) and the Scottish Government lock horns in court.
Eight days have been put aside intially for Edinburgh's Court of Session to hear the arguments for and against the controversial move. The Judicial Review hearing was supposed to start properly in October, but a row broke out after QCs acting for the Scottish Government claimed that the SWA had submitted late evidence.
Since October, it has emerged that the European Commission has urged the Scottish and UK Governments to abandon their plans for a minimum price as it feels the measure is “disproportionate” and will be an obstacle to trade.
This is clearly good news for the SWA. Even if the Court of Session ruling goes in favour of the administrations, there is still the European leg of its legal challenge, where the trade body is on more confident ground.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- A-B InBev's Global Presence - just The Facts
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- The Glenlivet leapfrogs Glenfiddich
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Brown-Forman Corporation (BFB) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review