Blog: Minimum pricing heads back to court
James Wilmore | 15 January 2013
The battle over minimum pricing enters yet another chapter today (15 January) when the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) and the Scottish Government lock horns in court.
Eight days have been put aside intially for Edinburgh's Court of Session to hear the arguments for and against the controversial move. The Judicial Review hearing was supposed to start properly in October, but a row broke out after QCs acting for the Scottish Government claimed that the SWA had submitted late evidence.
Since October, it has emerged that the European Commission has urged the Scottish and UK Governments to abandon their plans for a minimum price as it feels the measure is “disproportionate” and will be an obstacle to trade.
This is clearly good news for the SWA. Even if the Court of Session ruling goes in favour of the administrations, there is still the European leg of its legal challenge, where the trade body is on more confident ground.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research