Blog: Minimum pricing heads back to court
James Wilmore | 15 January 2013
The battle over minimum pricing enters yet another chapter today (15 January) when the Scotch Whisky Association (SWA) and the Scottish Government lock horns in court.
Eight days have been put aside intially for Edinburgh's Court of Session to hear the arguments for and against the controversial move. The Judicial Review hearing was supposed to start properly in October, but a row broke out after QCs acting for the Scottish Government claimed that the SWA had submitted late evidence.
Since October, it has emerged that the European Commission has urged the Scottish and UK Governments to abandon their plans for a minimum price as it feels the measure is “disproportionate” and will be an obstacle to trade.
This is clearly good news for the SWA. Even if the Court of Session ruling goes in favour of the administrations, there is still the European leg of its legal challenge, where the trade body is on more confident ground.
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt I
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Beam Suntory boosts top-line in 2016 - results
- Molson Coors hit by US$500m write-down in Canada
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends