Blog: MillerCoors fronts up on Facebook
James Wilmore | 13 June 2014
Earlier this week, I suggested the rush by companies to voice their concern over corruption allegations around the Qatar FIFA World Cup bid was partly the result of fear of the reaction on social media.
But, trying to be upfront and take the lead can also prove a problem.
MillerCoors, along with Anheuser-Busch InBev, have both this week been the subject of consumer pressure over their lack of information on the ingredients used in their beers. More than 50,000 people have signed a petiton in the US calling for more transparency.
MillerCoors probably thought it was doing the right thing in posting the information on its official Facebook page. However, as is often the case when a company tries to engage on a public forum, the results can be unpredictable.
Vani Hari, the influential US food blogger who started the petition, challenged the company directly via Facebook over its use of corn syrup in its beers. The brewer replied to Hari, but then gave up after follow-up questions by the blogger.
Other users then weighed in, some with their own less-than-flattering views and further questions.
Can the old term "all publicity is good publicity" be applied in the world of social media? I'm not so sure.
The camera soars low over fields of spiked agave plants, past workers toiling under the hot Mexican sun. You turn your head as you drift into the hold of a truck. Suddenly you're in a bustling Tequila...
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- just On Call - Pernod shifts Scotch focus in China
- A-B InBev "regrets" Bud Light bottle message
- Diageo teams Johnnie Walker up with Entourage
- MEPs call for calorie, ingredient facts on alcohol
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- Pernod readies Avion Tequila US sweepstake
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research