Blog: Mexico's uncomfortable truth - soda before toilet paper
Andy Morton | 2 May 2014
Before the government introduced a new sugar tax this year, Mexico's soft drinks industry was one of the world's biggest.
Despite January's duty hike, it's still pretty huge, largely because - no matter the price - Mexican's won't give up their soda.
What they are willing to give up in its stead was put in stark relief by Coca-Cola FEMSA CFO Héctor Treviño Gutiérrez this week. Consumers, he said, hit by across-the-board price jumps on household staples, are “prioritising” soft drinks.
“They are not spending as much on other things like toilet paper."
Analysts, I hear, are unsure what this means for the bottom line.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
China Huiyuan Juice Group has offloaded nine struggling subsidiaries in its home market....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Hail Marie Brizard: But, For How Long?
- 5 reasons why Constellation's Meiomi buy works
- Pernod relies on Indian whiskey to crack Africa
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- NPD: The Clear Soft Drink Trend is Back
- Comment - Diageo CFO to North America? Do the Math
- Diageo sells "non-core" Gleneagles
- Diageo CFO Mahlan to head up N America
- Pernod Ricard allays Havana Club shortage fears
- William Grant partners Rugby World Cup
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Edrington Group in Spirits (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research