Blog: Mexico's uncomfortable truth - soda before toilet paper
Andy Morton | 2 May 2014
Before the government introduced a new sugar tax this year, Mexico's soft drinks industry was one of the world's biggest.
Despite January's duty hike, it's still pretty huge, largely because - no matter the price - Mexican's won't give up their soda.
What they are willing to give up in its stead was put in stark relief by Coca-Cola FEMSA CFO Héctor Treviño Gutiérrez this week. Consumers, he said, hit by across-the-board price jumps on household staples, are “prioritising” soft drinks.
“They are not spending as much on other things like toilet paper."
Analysts, I hear, are unsure what this means for the bottom line.
Sectors: Soft drinks
Coca-Cola Enterprises (CCE) is planning to roll out new Monster energy drinks in Europe, ahead of its expected bottler merger in the region....
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
It's good to be in the bottled water business. According to Canadean, packaged water sales are expected to drive almost all of the net growth in beverage consumption over the next five years in the US...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- SABMiller in Cent'l & E Europe - What is for sale?
- A-B InBev and its SABMiller divestments - Focus
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Brown-Forman appoints new GTR marketing head
- Molson Coors' Rekorderlig Cider Cocktails - NPD
- Carlsberg's Shed Head and Bad Apple craft - NPD
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends