Blog: Measuring misery
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 September 2003
The study has been conducted by Associate Professor Wendy Slutske of the University of Missouri in Columbia and was published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, this week.
If women ever needed further proof in their suspicions that God is a man, then Professor Slutske may have provided it. For it seems that women suffer worse from hangovers than men, even after accounting for differences in the amount of alcohol consumed.
Apparently, the method of measurement involves assessing 13 symptoms -from headache and dehydration to trembling or shaking - of discomfort or illness after a bout of heavy drinking.
Amazingly, only one in four students on which the study was carried out reported at least one hangover symptom once a month or more often. Clearly these people were not dealing with the right set of students.
On a more serious note, the study also revealed that hangovers were more likely to affect individuals with a personal history of alcohol problems or with at least one biological parent with alcohol-related problems.
One member of the team, Dr Thomas Piasecki said: "We were also surprised to discover how little research had been conducted [on hangovers], because the research that does exist suggests that hangovers could be an important factor in the development of problem drinking."
Want to know how to make it to the top of the beverage business? According to Muhtar Kent, it's all about the networking....
A red sticker to a shopper is like a red rag to a bull. And as the masses charge at the deals, UK off licences and supermarkets are finding new and novel ways to entice the herd. ...
To celebrate its 250th anniversary, Cognac brand Hennessy is trumpeting a virtual time capsule, making a parallel between it and a barrel of Cognac....
Rarely do sponsorship deals pay off so quickly. ...
- Focus - Edrington's FY Performance by Brand
- Where Beer is Brewed Can Leave a Bad Taste
- Analysis - Storm clouds lift over Diageo Towers
- Analysis - Cider's Campaign Gains
- Analysis - SABMiller's LatAm aim? Drink more beer
- Former Bacardi exec takes De Kuyper CEO role
- Pernod Ricard appoints Absolut Vodka VP
- Beam Suntory to re-package Courvoisier Cognac
- Edrington posts FY profits drop
- TWE, Pernod hail China-Aus FTA
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- The IWSR Company Profile 2014 – Remy Cointreau
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beer, 2014 and the future