Blog: Measuring misery
Chris Brook-Carter | 17 September 2003
The study has been conducted by Associate Professor Wendy Slutske of the University of Missouri in Columbia and was published in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research, this week.
If women ever needed further proof in their suspicions that God is a man, then Professor Slutske may have provided it. For it seems that women suffer worse from hangovers than men, even after accounting for differences in the amount of alcohol consumed.
Apparently, the method of measurement involves assessing 13 symptoms -from headache and dehydration to trembling or shaking - of discomfort or illness after a bout of heavy drinking.
Amazingly, only one in four students on which the study was carried out reported at least one hangover symptom once a month or more often. Clearly these people were not dealing with the right set of students.
On a more serious note, the study also revealed that hangovers were more likely to affect individuals with a personal history of alcohol problems or with at least one biological parent with alcohol-related problems.
One member of the team, Dr Thomas Piasecki said: "We were also surprised to discover how little research had been conducted [on hangovers], because the research that does exist suggests that hangovers could be an important factor in the development of problem drinking."
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets