Blog: Lidio Carraro is Brazil's early World Cup favourite
Andy Morton | 22 May 2013
To me, there were noticeably fewer people at this year's London International Wine Fair (LIWF), which ends today (22 May), but that didn't stop the Brazil stand from attracting a bustling crowd on all three days.
While Wines of Brasil is hoping to triple exports off the back of a packed sports calender, there's one of the country's wineries set for a bigger year than most.
Lidio Carraro hit the jackpot when it was picked to provide Fifa's official wine of Brazil 2014. The label, which features a range of blends, is called Faces and will be officially unveiled at VinExpo in Bordeaux next month.
What's truly amazing about Lidio Carraro's fortune, however, is that while the wine will likely gain worldwide distribution because of Fifa's seal of approval (it is hunting for a UK distributor at LIWF, I was told) and will be served at all Fifa functions up to and including the World Cup, the winery is a mere 40 hectares, or roughly 40 Fifa-regulation-sized football pitches.
Lidio Carraro will use stock from other Brazilian vineyards to make up for the inevitable shortfall in liquid, hence the need for a blend. But despite the inherent craziness in picking a family-owned (and family-sized) vineyard to serve the world its wine, Fifa must be applauded for backing one of the little guys.
Even if Brazil don't lift the World Cup, Lidio Carraro is already a guaranteed winner.
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
It's not even available on pre-order yet, but Apple's latest piece of kit has already got a breathalyser app....
just-drinks is now closed for the Easter weekend....
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
- Is Diageo on the Brink of a Brain Drain?
- Focus - Pernod's YTD Performance by Region
- Comment - Will We Understand the Language of Rum?
- Focus - Heineken's Q1 Performance by Region
- just The Preview - Pernod Ricard's Q3 & YTD
- Pernod Ricard unveils Havana Club ad campaign
- CFO of Diageo's United Spirits stands down
- Global Tequila market hits new highs in 2014
- Pernod Ricard sees YTD recover as sales increase
- Remy Cointreau US head to step down
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Bacardi Limited - Strategy and SWOT Report
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets