Blog: Lidio Carraro is Brazil's early World Cup favourite
Andy Morton | 22 May 2013
To me, there were noticeably fewer people at this year's London International Wine Fair (LIWF), which ends today (22 May), but that didn't stop the Brazil stand from attracting a bustling crowd on all three days.
While Wines of Brasil is hoping to triple exports off the back of a packed sports calender, there's one of the country's wineries set for a bigger year than most.
Lidio Carraro hit the jackpot when it was picked to provide Fifa's official wine of Brazil 2014. The label, which features a range of blends, is called Faces and will be officially unveiled at VinExpo in Bordeaux next month.
What's truly amazing about Lidio Carraro's fortune, however, is that while the wine will likely gain worldwide distribution because of Fifa's seal of approval (it is hunting for a UK distributor at LIWF, I was told) and will be served at all Fifa functions up to and including the World Cup, the winery is a mere 40 hectares, or roughly 40 Fifa-regulation-sized football pitches.
Lidio Carraro will use stock from other Brazilian vineyards to make up for the inevitable shortfall in liquid, hence the need for a blend. But despite the inherent craziness in picking a family-owned (and family-sized) vineyard to serve the world its wine, Fifa must be applauded for backing one of the little guys.
Even if Brazil don't lift the World Cup, Lidio Carraro is already a guaranteed winner.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Interview - William Grant & Sons
- Beckham, Diageo and the Allure of the VIP Pop-Up
- just The Preview - Brown-Forman Q3 & YTD
- Diageo, Beckham launch VIP pop-up for Haig Club
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pinnacle Vodka, Skinnygirl roll out on ice
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research