Blog: Iron Maiden rocked by Sweden's alcohol rules
James Wilmore | 14 May 2013
When you're one of the most successful heavy metal bands in history, with nearly 9m Facebook fans, you can probably cope with the odd setback.
Last week, Iron Maiden launched their own ale - Trooper - brewed by Cheshire-based family brewer Robinsons. According to beer writer Marverine Cole, the brewery has secured pre-orders from a whopping 184 countries, while Robinsons has been forced to move to a six-day week to meet demand.
But, the brew (4.8% abv in cask, 4.7% in bottled format) has hit a stumbling block in Sweden. The country's state-run liquor store monopoly, Systembolaget, has aborted the launch of Trooper in its outlets over fears the skull and crossbones on the label does not adhere to the country's alcohol laws, it has been reported.
Will the private-jet travelling hellraisers be forced to change the label? Or, will they abandon selling the beer in Sweden?
Strangely, I don't remember this kind of kerfuffle when indie epic-balladeers Elbow launched their beer, Build a Rocket Boys, with Robinsons in 2011.
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- SABMiller, Carlsberg, Heineken: Poland's beer itch
- Diageo, Heineken and NBL in South Africa & Namibia
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Diageo comm's director latest to leave
- Diageo hit by SEC investigation in US
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global cachaca insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research