Blog: Indra Nooyi - a bare-footed hippie maybe, but don't call her company Pepsi
James Wilmore | 10 July 2014
I'd imagine the term "hippie" is rarely used in a positive way in business circles.
The image of a bearded, long-haired counter-culture figure is anathema to the staid, straight-laced nature of much of the corporate world.
But it seems these days, a surprising number of business leaders began life embracing what might be seen as the "hippie" culture.
Steve Jobs, the late co-founder of Apple who experimented with LSD in his younger days, is the obvious example. Richard Branson, who still sports long hair and a beard, is another.
One other addition to the list could well be PepsiCo's CEO Indra Nooyi. The soft drinks and snacks guru was described as a "hippie" last week, during an introduction for a Q&A for the Aspen Institiute in the US.
Nooyi appeared to accept this description, based on the fact she used to play guitar in a band and, according to host David Bradley, "has been spotted walking bare feet in the Pepsi(Co) offices".
However, despite her previous tendencies, Nooyi was quick to correct Bradley when he referred to the company she leads as just "Pepsi", instead of PepsiCo. No doubt, Nooyi is particularly sensitive on the issue, bearing in mind the on-going efforts of investor Nelson Peltz to split the group in two.
Whether her peace-loving attitude extends to Mr Peltz may be a matter of some debate.
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
Britvic is continuing to cut sugar from its portfolio with the release of a sugar-free Tango Orange....
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- American whiskey does a vodka - Analysis
- Battle continues for Pernod Ricard in US and China
- Are we about to see a no-alcohol Heineken?
- Concha y Toro's H1 performance - Focus
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Heineken integrates cider and beer
- Diageo strengthens Charmer Sunbelt distribution
- “New normal” sees Pernod target premium in China
- Pernod Ricard keen to stem Absolut US declines
- Heineken adds to UK on-trade footprint
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Pernod Ricard SA - Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investment Report
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research