Blog: Illicit stills and a dose of patriotism
Andy Morton | 6 February 2013
Moonshine operations are on the rise in Oklahoma, but one newspaper is firmly behind the illegal liquor merchants.
“Distilling moonshine for personal use is a God-given, American right,” the Oklahoma Daily thundered until it was red, white and blue in the face. Apparently, those meddling “wig-wearing” politicians refuse to drop the moonshine tax, much to the Daily's annoyance. As it says, “Would we tax a backyard vegetable garden or chicken coop making eggs?”
Last year, an analyst told me that Russia's low-value vodka makers are finding consumers either trading up to premium spirits or falling down into the illegal, non-taxed sector. With US beverage companies seemingly more fixated on premiumisation than ever, perhaps Oklahoma's moonshiners will find their customer base increasing correspondingly.
Then those wig-wearers might have something to worry about.
Last year was tough for The Coca-Cola Co. So staff in Atlanta won't be pleased to read that Pepsi has overtaken Diet Coke as the no. 2 soda brand in the US. ...
A bit of football fun for a Friday. Anheuser-Busch InBev has released the ad that will accompany its new Budweiser 'Dream Goal' campaign, that seeks to find the UK's best amateur goal. ...
No sooner had Anheuser-Busch InBev taken a gentle pop at the craft beer segment during February's Super Bowl, than the world's largest brewer has challenged the sub-category's target market in New Yor...
A few wry grins will have been raised in the offices of Dr Pepper Snapple Group today. ...
- Sustainability: What Craft Teaches Multi-Nationals
- Is A-B InBev/SABMiller 'Mega-Merger' Off?
- Ethiopia competition to remain "intense" - Diageo
- Pernod takes positives from China Cognac bounce
- Brewers v Distillers in Nutrition Control Battle
- Heineken to cut jobs in global shake-up
- Bacardi bags a Bourbon with Angel's Envy buy
- Bacardi Brown-Forman here to stay
- Carlsberg takes on Stella Artois in new campaign
- Anheuser-Busch InBev lines up new chairman
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Heineken N.V. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Champagne: Less Than Bubbly