Blog: Illicit stills and a dose of patriotism
Andy Morton | 6 February 2013
Moonshine operations are on the rise in Oklahoma, but one newspaper is firmly behind the illegal liquor merchants.
“Distilling moonshine for personal use is a God-given, American right,” the Oklahoma Daily thundered until it was red, white and blue in the face. Apparently, those meddling “wig-wearing” politicians refuse to drop the moonshine tax, much to the Daily's annoyance. As it says, “Would we tax a backyard vegetable garden or chicken coop making eggs?”
Last year, an analyst told me that Russia's low-value vodka makers are finding consumers either trading up to premium spirits or falling down into the illegal, non-taxed sector. With US beverage companies seemingly more fixated on premiumisation than ever, perhaps Oklahoma's moonshiners will find their customer base increasing correspondingly.
Then those wig-wearers might have something to worry about.
When it comes to market speculation, a company holds the prerogative to comment or not. Most times it is the latter, but we journalists are always grateful for any quote that we can get....
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- Analysis - Will Diageo call time on wine?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Coca-Cola Co promotes North America chief
- Bacardi widens Craigellachie footprint to Asia
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Diageo Plc in Wine (World)
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets