Blog: Homebrewer's whirl with Vienna IPA pays off
James Wilmore | 28 August 2014
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously.
Waitrose has agreed to stock the winner of the Great British Home Brew Challenge, which was announced last week as 39 year-old Graham Nelson. Graham won't be forced to keep up with demand from this shed though. Highly-respected Derbyshire brewer Thornbridge has agreed to brew Graham's winning entry - Vienna IPA - from its premises. The 5.9% abv brew will be sold at around 60 Waitrose stores from October.
Kate Prall, Waitrose's beer buyer said: "We’ve been thrilled with the quality of the entries and are looking forward to seeing the reaction from our customers when the beer launches.”
Reporting on Nelson's win, The Guardian newspaper suggested that "homebrewers are giving many professional breweries a run for their money".
I'm sure the UK brewing community, being the friendly brethren it is, won't mind people giving it a go and don't see it as a genuine threat to their business. After all, homebrewing's popularity in the UK is generally cyclical, having last been popular in the 1970s.
And though Pete Hughes, chairman of the London Amateur Brewers, told The Guardian the best beer he ever tasted was made by somebody in their garage, he added: "That said, so was the worst."
Sectors: Beer & cider
Would the thought of working in a morgue stop you from drink driving? ...
You would be forgiven for thinking that the US cider boom is over. Sales growth of as much as 90% in the past few years has shrunk to double figures. ...
The drinks industry could do more to benefit from new technology. ...
The soft drinks world is abuzz today over what an executive shake-up at PepsiCo might mean to on-going speculation over CEO Indra Nooyi's successor....
- Will US consolidation leave craft alcohol exposed?
- Brown-Forman's march on premium whisk(e)y -Comment
- Are consumers getting tired of consuming?
- Should Boston Beer Co put up the For Sale sign?
- Where does AB InBev see the future of beer?
- Brown-Forman to buy BenRiach Distillery Co
- AB InBev snaps up Italy's Birra del Borgo
- Smirnoff Ice Electric flavours - NPD
- US craft beer to hit saturation soon - Koch
- Bacardi rolls out new global Martini ad - video
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Consumer and Market Insights: Wine Market in China
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- What Next for Beer and Brewers Following the MegaBrew Deal?
- Emerging Drinks Industry Trends