Blog: Homebrewer's whirl with Vienna IPA pays off
James Wilmore | 28 August 2014
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously.
Waitrose has agreed to stock the winner of the Great British Home Brew Challenge, which was announced last week as 39 year-old Graham Nelson. Graham won't be forced to keep up with demand from this shed though. Highly-respected Derbyshire brewer Thornbridge has agreed to brew Graham's winning entry - Vienna IPA - from its premises. The 5.9% abv brew will be sold at around 60 Waitrose stores from October.
Kate Prall, Waitrose's beer buyer said: "We’ve been thrilled with the quality of the entries and are looking forward to seeing the reaction from our customers when the beer launches.”
Reporting on Nelson's win, The Guardian newspaper suggested that "homebrewers are giving many professional breweries a run for their money".
I'm sure the UK brewing community, being the friendly brethren it is, won't mind people giving it a go and don't see it as a genuine threat to their business. After all, homebrewing's popularity in the UK is generally cyclical, having last been popular in the 1970s.
And though Pete Hughes, chairman of the London Amateur Brewers, told The Guardian the best beer he ever tasted was made by somebody in their garage, he added: "That said, so was the worst."
Sectors: Beer & cider
Brazil still offers a tremendous amount of opportunity, according to Anheuser-Busch InBev's CEO Carlos Brito. ...
It would appear that the folk at the UK arm of Carlsberg have this year found the 'gimmicky' drawer in the marketing office....
It's a popular grizzle and one I'll admit to having on at least one or two occasions… a day. Why do people post photos of their food and/or drink on to my social media feed?...
Yesterday, Diageo reported a lift in full-year net profits on flat sales and dipping volumes. Here just-drinks takes a look at the performance of the group's brands:...
After a 2014 it'll want to forget, Treasury Wine Estates has some good news....
The garden shed is usually home to some spiders, a lawnmower and a few half-empty paint tins. ...
- Diageo Q4 & FY - Preview
- Has Diageo added Beer to its 'Non-Core' List?
- Focus - Diageo's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo " knew United Spirits would be complicated”
- Is Diageo approaching its "Et tu, Brute" Moment?
- NPD: Tomatin Contrast, Cù Bòcan
- Challenges remain as Diageo posts flat FY sales
- Diageo, Heineken end South Africa, Namibia JV
- Bacardi creates Bacardi rum marketing role
- Pernod launches pomegranate whisky drink
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global liqueurs insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research