Blog: Homebrewer's whirl with Vienna IPA pays off
James Wilmore | 28 August 2014
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously.
Waitrose has agreed to stock the winner of the Great British Home Brew Challenge, which was announced last week as 39 year-old Graham Nelson. Graham won't be forced to keep up with demand from this shed though. Highly-respected Derbyshire brewer Thornbridge has agreed to brew Graham's winning entry - Vienna IPA - from its premises. The 5.9% abv brew will be sold at around 60 Waitrose stores from October.
Kate Prall, Waitrose's beer buyer said: "We’ve been thrilled with the quality of the entries and are looking forward to seeing the reaction from our customers when the beer launches.”
Reporting on Nelson's win, The Guardian newspaper suggested that "homebrewers are giving many professional breweries a run for their money".
I'm sure the UK brewing community, being the friendly brethren it is, won't mind people giving it a go and don't see it as a genuine threat to their business. After all, homebrewing's popularity in the UK is generally cyclical, having last been popular in the 1970s.
And though Pete Hughes, chairman of the London Amateur Brewers, told The Guardian the best beer he ever tasted was made by somebody in their garage, he added: "That said, so was the worst."
Sectors: Beer & cider
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Interview - Beam Suntory's EMEA president
- Anheuser-Busch InBev's FY Performance by Region
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo completes Don Julio, Bushmills swap deal
- Pernod Ricard sends Martell Mumm PJ head to Asia
- Pernod Ricard's Havana Club Union
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research