Blog: Homebrewer's whirl with Vienna IPA pays off
James Wilmore | 28 August 2014
The homebrewing revival continues in the UK - and evidence has come that even the supermarket chains are taking it semi-seriously.
Waitrose has agreed to stock the winner of the Great British Home Brew Challenge, which was announced last week as 39 year-old Graham Nelson. Graham won't be forced to keep up with demand from this shed though. Highly-respected Derbyshire brewer Thornbridge has agreed to brew Graham's winning entry - Vienna IPA - from its premises. The 5.9% abv brew will be sold at around 60 Waitrose stores from October.
Kate Prall, Waitrose's beer buyer said: "We’ve been thrilled with the quality of the entries and are looking forward to seeing the reaction from our customers when the beer launches.”
Reporting on Nelson's win, The Guardian newspaper suggested that "homebrewers are giving many professional breweries a run for their money".
I'm sure the UK brewing community, being the friendly brethren it is, won't mind people giving it a go and don't see it as a genuine threat to their business. After all, homebrewing's popularity in the UK is generally cyclical, having last been popular in the 1970s.
And though Pete Hughes, chairman of the London Amateur Brewers, told The Guardian the best beer he ever tasted was made by somebody in their garage, he added: "That said, so was the worst."
Sectors: Beer & cider
We had some technical problems with the just-drinks site yesterday....
Molson Coors has announced a GBP2.8m (US$4.3m) marketing campaign for its Coors Light brand in the UK...
No self-respecting rapper is without some affiliation to a booze brand. Vodka is de rigueur, thanks to P Diddy and his tie-up with Diageo and Ciroc. ...
Is this the true breakfast of champions?...
We are well served in the drinks industry by quality advertising campaigns....
- Why consumers don't care about vodka's provenance
- Pernod Ricard's FY Performance by Region, Brand
- Japan follows in Scotch whisky's footsteps
- Brown-Forman's Q1 Performance by Region, Brand
- Pernod Ricard's FY fiscal-2015 - Preview
- Diageo launches glass Bulleit & Cola bottles
- Pernod Ricard "in line" after full-year results
- Pernod Ricard releases social medial guide
- Bruno Mars rum rolls out across US
- Brown-Forman CEO unfazed by FX headwinds
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research