Blog: Heineken kidnapping film gets go-ahead
James Wilmore | 9 October 2013
Heineken is about to have the most dramatic moment in its history given the Hollywood blockbuster treatment.
'Kidnapping Freddy Heineken' will tell the story of Alfred 'Freddy' Heineken, the grandson of the founder of the Dutch brewery, who, in 1983 was kidnapped, along with his driver Ab Doderer. 'Freddy', who was CEO of the group at the time, and Doderer, were only released after a ransom of NLG35m (US$20m) was paid, the largest ransom to have been met at the time for an individual.
The kidnappers were eventually caught and served jail terms.
British actor Sir Anthony Hopkins will play 'Freddy', according to the Hollywood Reporter.
It's actually the second film to be made about the incident, after a Dutch version - De Heineken Ontvoering – was released in 2011.
But, from what I have heard, neither film has had the blessing of the company; it's understandably still a sensitive topic for the group.
It looks like there will be a fresh spotlight on Heineken's past, whether the brewer likes it or not.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
The camera soars low over fields of spiked agave plants, past workers toiling under the hot Mexican sun. You turn your head as you drift into the hold of a truck. Suddenly you're in a bustling Tequila...
Carlsberg's Russian unit may be grinding down the gears, but its UK marketing team is proving to be no slouches. ...
On Monday, 4 May, just-drinks will be closed, as it is a public holiday in the UK....
To London yesterday evening for what turned out to be quite a treat of a whisky tasting....
It seems even 250-year-old Cognac houses want to be like Google these days....
- Why Didn't Diageo Act Sooner on Mallya?
- just The Facts - The Global Wine Industry
- Comment - A New Age of VR Marketing?
- CCE head shines light on price talks
- Interview: Head brewer at Hall & Woodhouse
- Diageo considers wine operations sale
- Bacardi opens Dewar’s Travel Retail whisky store
- NPD: Bacardi's Bacardi Carta Fuego
- A-B InBev approves new chairman
- Innis & Gunn looks to build first brewery
- Global Tequila insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Diageo plc (DGE) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research