Blog: Heineken kidnapping film gets go-ahead
James Wilmore | 9 October 2013
Heineken is about to have the most dramatic moment in its history given the Hollywood blockbuster treatment.
'Kidnapping Freddy Heineken' will tell the story of Alfred 'Freddy' Heineken, the grandson of the founder of the Dutch brewery, who, in 1983 was kidnapped, along with his driver Ab Doderer. 'Freddy', who was CEO of the group at the time, and Doderer, were only released after a ransom of NLG35m (US$20m) was paid, the largest ransom to have been met at the time for an individual.
The kidnappers were eventually caught and served jail terms.
British actor Sir Anthony Hopkins will play 'Freddy', according to the Hollywood Reporter.
It's actually the second film to be made about the incident, after a Dutch version - De Heineken Ontvoering – was released in 2011.
But, from what I have heard, neither film has had the blessing of the company; it's understandably still a sensitive topic for the group.
It looks like there will be a fresh spotlight on Heineken's past, whether the brewer likes it or not.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Analysts upbeat on Pernod Ricard's US success
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Altria raises Anheuser-Busch InBev holding
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends