Blog: Heineken kidnapping film gets go-ahead
James Wilmore | 9 October 2013
Heineken is about to have the most dramatic moment in its history given the Hollywood blockbuster treatment.
'Kidnapping Freddy Heineken' will tell the story of Alfred 'Freddy' Heineken, the grandson of the founder of the Dutch brewery, who, in 1983 was kidnapped, along with his driver Ab Doderer. 'Freddy', who was CEO of the group at the time, and Doderer, were only released after a ransom of NLG35m (US$20m) was paid, the largest ransom to have been met at the time for an individual.
The kidnappers were eventually caught and served jail terms.
British actor Sir Anthony Hopkins will play 'Freddy', according to the Hollywood Reporter.
It's actually the second film to be made about the incident, after a Dutch version - De Heineken Ontvoering – was released in 2011.
But, from what I have heard, neither film has had the blessing of the company; it's understandably still a sensitive topic for the group.
It looks like there will be a fresh spotlight on Heineken's past, whether the brewer likes it or not.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
just-drinks is in Berlin this week for Bar Convent Berlin. Here's the first part of Andy Morton's daily blog, which will keep you up-to-date at one of Europe's most important dates in the alcohol indu...
Responding to criticism on social media is tough. You've got to engage the consumer without starting an argument and - ideally - get them on side....
Want to know how The Coca-Cola Co-backed Keurig Kold - released in the US yesterday - works?...
In a trading update earlier today, SABMiller reported a 4% increase in half-year sales, with the top line rising by 6% in the second quarter. Here, we look at the six- and three-month performance by r...
While analysts mull the numbers of Anheuser-Busch InBev's impending offer for SABMiller, there's a timely reminder in The Times newspaper this week that the proposed deal may yet fall victim to other ...
- Is Brown-Forman doing a Jack Daniel's in Ireland?
- Is Brown-Forman at the end of the SoCo road?
- Is time right for TWE to move for Diageo's wines?
- Will a sexed-up SABMiller tempt AB InBev?
- Are we kidding ourselves over craft spirits?
- Diageo secures Xerox Corp CFO as finance head
- Tesco pulls several Carlsberg SKUs in UK
- AB InBev makes formal offer for SABMiller
- Former Pernod Ricard exec joins Wakefield Wines
- Diageo, Treasury Wine Estates quiet on wine sale
- The IWSR Duty Free/Travel Retail Summary Report 2015
- Future growth opportunities for global spirits
- Global gin insights - market data, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research