Blog: Heineken kidnapping film gets go-ahead
James Wilmore | 9 October 2013
Heineken is about to have the most dramatic moment in its history given the Hollywood blockbuster treatment.
'Kidnapping Freddy Heineken' will tell the story of Alfred 'Freddy' Heineken, the grandson of the founder of the Dutch brewery, who, in 1983 was kidnapped, along with his driver Ab Doderer. 'Freddy', who was CEO of the group at the time, and Doderer, were only released after a ransom of NLG35m (US$20m) was paid, the largest ransom to have been met at the time for an individual.
The kidnappers were eventually caught and served jail terms.
British actor Sir Anthony Hopkins will play 'Freddy', according to the Hollywood Reporter.
It's actually the second film to be made about the incident, after a Dutch version - De Heineken Ontvoering – was released in 2011.
But, from what I have heard, neither film has had the blessing of the company; it's understandably still a sensitive topic for the group.
It looks like there will be a fresh spotlight on Heineken's past, whether the brewer likes it or not.
Follow me on Twitter @jamescwilmore
Having offered his predictions last week for the wider alcohol category, Euromonitor's senior alcoholic drinks analyst, Spiros Malandrakis, drills down into what the year ahead has in mind for the bee...
Bacardi's 42 Below vodka brand has found a novel way to use the lemons left over from cocktail-making: Turn them into liquid soap....
Philadelphia’s soda tax came into force on Sunday, and is reportedly causing a stir in the city's check-out aisles....
Earlier this month, I was most-kindly invited by Accolade Wines to visit the Royal Albert Hall in London. The reason? They wanted to see a tennis great in action, and then give them a guided tour thro...
Sapporo Holdings' renewed focus on beer is paying off as profits last year surged on the back of fresh domestic growth for its core lager brands....
Do you like whisk(e)y? And, I mean, really like whisk(e)y? Are you at a loose end in the first half of 2017? If so, then I've found just the job for you....
- Heineken goes from strength to strength - Analysis
- Key trends for the alcohol category in 2017
- Treasury Wine Estates CEO - Interview Pt II
- Heineken 2012-2016 - results data
- Heineken FY 2016 by region - results data
- Non-alcoholic Heineken set to hit Europe - CEO
- Rum braced for falling volumes in years ahead
- Beam Suntory revamps Bowmore whisky packaging
- Bacardi lines up Canadian bottling plant closure
- Europe's drinks companies start engines on CETA
- Global Scotch insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global vodka insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Cognac insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends