Blog: Guinness gaff draws a grin from Diageo's top man
James Wilmore | 20 November 2013
Four months into his premiership at Diageo, Ivan Menezes showed that he can cope with the odd curveball thrown at him by media.
At a press gathering, following an investors day in London yesterday, I decided to ask him about a slightly uncomfortable recent episode in the UK involving Guinness. The team behind the Irish stout brand took the unusal step of booking out an entire three-minute ad slot during an episode last month of ITV's primetime chatathon The Jonathan Ross Show.
So far, so good.
But the spot featured Jonathan Ross himself in a bizarre pseudo chat environment, with comedian Danny Wallace and Professor Robin Dunbar talking about the benefits of male bonding. As we reported at the time, the Twitterati were not impressed and neither was my colleague Olly Wehring.
So what what did Mr Menezes think of the debacle?
In a relaxed manner, with even a slight grin on his face, he told just-drinks: “It didn't turn to be as good as we wanted, but I'm glad they tried it... I want people to push the boundaries.”
He added: “If you're not failing, you're not trying hard enough.”
On that basis, I can't wait to see what the Guinness gang try next.
Spotted in Havana this week – a healthy stock of Pernod Ricard's Havanista rum. ...
Alcohol always has a big presence at the Oscars, albeit mostly in a supporting role....
Business is booming at copper pot still makers Chalvignac - you can tell from the loud noise coming from its factory floor in the French town of Jarnac-Champagne. ...
Heineken is betting big on the long-term opportunity around soccer in the US. ...
- Spirits - Where does 'Craft' End and 'Mass' Begin?
- Brewers go Crazy over Flavoured Malt “Cocktails”
- Mike’s Hard Lemonade Could Be a Hard Sell
- What do A-B InBev results mean for SABMiller deal?
- just The Preview - Anheuser-Busch InBev's Q4 & FY
- Diageo "smart bottle" targets consumers at home
- Suntory whiskey seeks to "eclipse" Diageo, Pernod
- Tesco reinstates Dan Jago following suspension
- Diageo adds Dubai to Johnnie Walker skyline series
- Asahi Beverages CEO to step down - report
- Global non-Scotch whiskies insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Wine, 2014 and the future
- Spirits and RTDs, 2014 and the future
- Global RTD/RTS insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends research
- Beam Suntory Inc. - Strategy and SWOT Report