Blog: Gloriously odd-shaped balls
Chris Brook-Carter | 24 November 2003
I apologise now to all our Australian readers and those from countries that wouldn’t recognise a rugby match from a street riot, but I can’t let Saturday pass by without some sort of celebratory comment.
So. Well done Martin Johnson and all his men, what a fantastic spectacle, achievement and outcome. I promise not to bring it up too often as I pass the Australia stands at the next four London International Wine and Spirits Fairs.
And if you are wondering how I can tie in a rugby match into an otherwise serious bastion of drinks publishing, then, it has been estimated that the UK pub trade sold an extra 7m pints of beer on Saturday. Judging by the state of my head on Sunday it certainly felt as though the vast majority of those were consumed in my local.
Today is SABMiller's final day. Some time this evening, Brussel's time, the second-biggest brewer in the world will be subsumed into the biggest, creating a beer behemoth of unprecedented proportions....
No, this is not PepsiCo's new ad slogan for its Mountain Dew brand....
Major wine players flocked to China ready for online giant Alibaba's 9.9 Global Wine and Spirits Festival, which took place on 9 September....
In May, Heineken's CEO, Jean-François van Boxmeer, called Vietnam the "poster child" for international beer thanks to strong demographics and growing demand....
- Will Coca-Cola Co’s Dunkin’ Donuts move pay off?
- Five ways small brands can beat big players
- Heineken's Q3 2016 results - Preview
- Interview, Bulldog Gin CEO Anshuman Vohra, Pt II
- Ten ways to successfully target older consumers
- Diageo weathers Thailand alcohol ban
- SWA's David Frost to leave for foreign office role
- Heineken's YTD performance by region - Focus
- Stock Spirits appointments provoke investor unrest
- Seedlip eyes global growth with export deal
- Global gin insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Scotch whisky insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global rum insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends
- Global Wine Market 2016-2020
- Global RTD insights - market forecasts, product innovation and consumer trends